BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
dash
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

I want to find non missing value between col id1 and id2 and then place it in variable x like below.

Is there any alternative function to solve this if more variables are there.

data new;
input id1 id2 $;
cards;
1 11
2 .
. 3
. .
. abc
7 .
;
run;
data new1;
set new;
if id1 eq . then x=id2;
else if id1 ne . then x=id1;
else x=.;
run;
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

@dash wrote:
Can anyone help me why coalescec function is not working in the newly provided dataset

You use 

id1_=put(id1,8.);

unconditionally. So the value of id1_ is "       .", 7 blanks and a dot by default when id1 is missing. So there is ALWAYS a value for Id_1 and that is the result.

Perhaps:

data new1;
   set new;
   if not missing(id1) then id1_=put(id1,8. -L);
   X=coalescec(id1_, id2);
run;

Best practice would be to specify a length for X before first use, otherwise length may not hold all the values you need.

The -L in the Put for Id1 results in left justified text, which may be nicer for output when the result is the Id1_ value.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
ballardw
Super User

@dash wrote:

Hi,

I want to find non missing value between col id1 and id2 and then place it in variable x like below.

data new;
input id1 id2 $;
cards;
1 11
2 .
. 3
. .
. abc
7 .
;
run;
data new1;
set new;
if id1 eq . then x=id2;
else x=.;
run;

So is your X variable supposed to be numeric or character? This is very important since you are starting with one of each. The character value 'abc' cannot be stored in a numeric.

Any time you let the automatic conversion of numeric to character occur you have a chance of getting unexpected results. So consideration of how the create the character version of "id1" needs some consideration.

dash
Obsidian | Level 7

I use the function but why I am not getting correct output. Code for reference.

data new;
input id1 id2 $;
cards;
1 11.7
2 .
. 3-4.5
. .
. abc
7 .
;
run;
data new1;
set new;
id1_=put(id1,8.);
X=coalescec(id1_, id2);
run;
dash
Obsidian | Level 7
Can anyone help me why coalescec function is not working in the newly provided dataset
ballardw
Super User

@dash wrote:

You use 

id1_=put(id1,8.);

unconditionally. So the value of id1_ is "       .", 7 blanks and a dot by default when id1 is missing. So there is ALWAYS a value for Id_1 and that is the result.

Perhaps:

data new1;
   set new;
   if not missing(id1) then id1_=put(id1,8. -L);
   X=coalescec(id1_, id2);
run;

Best practice would be to specify a length for X before first use, otherwise length may not hold all the values you need.

The -L in the Put for Id1 results in left justified text, which may be nicer for output when the result is the Id1_ value.

Reeza
Super User

coalesceC()

and/or CATT() functions will do what you need.

Note that coalesceC (added C) has to be used with character variables.

@dash wrote:

Hi,

data new;
input id1 id2 $;
cards;
1 11
2 .
. 3
. .
. abc
7 .
;
run;
data new1;
set new;
if id1 eq . then x=id2;
else x=.;
run;

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation