BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
smg3141
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello,

I'm trying to add dashes in the middle of a string of social security numbers. For example, 123456789 -> 123-45-6789. 

I've been trying to use the cat and substr commands, but I don't think I'm totally understanding how the substr function works. I'm still new to SAS. 

data want;
set have;
length ssn_dash $11;
ssn_dash = ssn;
ssn_dash = cat(substr(ssn_dash,1,3), '-', substr(ssn_dash,3));
ssn_dash = cat(substr(ssn_dash,1,6), '-', substr(ssn_dash,6));
run;

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

3 REPLIES 3
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

Assuming ssn is a character string variable:

ssn_dash = catx("-", substr(ssn,1,3), substr(ssn,4,2), substr(ssn,6));

PG
jimbarbour
Meteorite | Level 14

You were very close.  The only adjustment that you would need would be to do add 1 to the last argument of your second substring on each line:

jimbarbour_0-1600310827891.png

Then you get just what you were after:

jimbarbour_2-1600310893519.png

However, that said, I think it's typically better to just do it all in one line as @PGStats suggests.  Notice also that he/she uses CATX instead of just CAT.  The CATX function puts a value in between each of the subsequent specified values so that you don't have to code '-' multiple times.  Nice function to know about.  I also find CATS to be useful.  CATS is the about the same as CAT except that it executes a STRIP function on each term.  CATS would be like coding CAT(STRIP(Var1), STRIP(Var2), STRIP(Var3)).  Very useful in my opinion.

Jim

Ksharp
Super User
data _null_;
x=123456789;
y=put(x,ssn.);
put x= / y=;
run;

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation