BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Steelersgirl
Calcite | Level 5

I am reading in a data set with the album name and song times in min and sec for each song. I then used an array to find the song time in just minutes for each song. I then want to add a variable for the mean song length of every album and drop the min and sec variables. I have been trying the following code but it is not creating the new mean song length variable nor dropping the other variables. 

DATA songs;
FILENAME webpage URL 'http://people.stat.sc.edu/Hitchcock/beatles_songlengths.txt';
INFILE webpage ;
INPUT album_name $ 1-38 min1 sec1 min2 sec2 min3 sec3 min4 sec4 min5 sec5 min6 sec6 min7 sec7 min8 sec8 min9 sec9 min10 sec10 min11 sec11 min12 sec12 min13 sec13 min14 sec14;
ARRAY min(14) min1 min2 min3 min4 min5 min6 min7 min8 min9 min10 min11 min12 min13 min14;
ARRAY sec(14) sec1 sec2 sec3 sec4 sec5 sec6 sec7 sec8 sec9 sec10 sec11 sec12 sec13 sec14;
ARRAY songtime(14);
DO i=1 to 14;
songtime(i)=min(i)+sec(i)/60;
END;
RETAIN avgsong;
avgsong=songtime(i)/i;
RUN;

PROC PRINT DATA=songs;
DROP min(i) sec(i) i;
RUN;
2 REPLIES 2
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

First off, please avoid coding in upper case, it really makes reading code harder.  Updated below, note do not use min() as that is a SAS function.  I would always - good programming practice - put arrays in curly braces so as to discern them from functions:

filename webpage url 'http://people.stat.sc.edu/Hitchcock/beatles_songlengths.txt';

data songs (keep=album_name avgsong);
  infile webpage;
  retain avgsong;
  input album_name  $ 1-38 min1 sec1 min2 sec2 min3 sec3 min4 sec4 min5 sec5 min6 sec6 min7 sec7 min8 sec8 min9 sec9 min10 sec10 min11 sec11 min12 sec12 min13 sec13 min14 sec14;
  array m{14};
  array s{14};
  array songtime{14};
  do i=1 to 14;
    songtime{i}=m{i}*60+s{i};
  end;
  avgsong=mean(of songtime:);
run;

Also note, you can simplify your code, as it is always min, then sec, by using a two level array:

filename webpage url 'http://people.stat.sc.edu/Hitchcock/beatles_songlengths.txt';

data songs;
  infile webpage;
  retain avgsong;
  input album_name  $ 1-38 min1 sec1 min2 sec2 min3 sec3 min4 sec4 min5 sec5 min6 sec6 min7 sec7 min8 sec8 min9 sec9 min10 sec10 min11 sec11 min12 sec12 min13 sec13 min14 sec14;
  array time{14,2} min1--sec14;
  array songtime{14};
  do i=1 to 14;
    songtime{i}=time{i,1}*60+time{i,2};
  end;
  avgsong=mean(of songtime:);
run;

ballardw
Super User

instead of

avgsong=songtime(i)/I;

try

avgsong=mean( of songtime(*)); IF you want the average song length per album (record).

If you want the average song length across all albums you then need to do something else such as Proc Means/Summary.

You again to forget to post the ERRORS your code generates. You would get an Array subscript out of range for the line

avgsong=songtime(i)/I;

because AFTER the loop the index variable I will have a value of 15.

If you want to drop a variable put the DROP in the data step, not proc print. That is why you got a message similar to:

NOTE: The DROP and KEEP statements are not supported in procedure steps in this release of the
      SAS System. Therefore, these statements are ignored.

in the log for proc print. HINT: Read the log. In the data step

drop min: sec: i;

If you do not want to print the dropped variable(s) either explicitly list the variables you want to print using a VAR statement or use the data set option as

PROC PRINT DATA=songs (DROP= min: sec: I);

DROP statements or options will not recognize an array reference and will have an error in the log. The variable list shortcut min: can reference all variables that start with MIN or a range list like drop min1-min14; min(i) is right out.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation