BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Emma_at_SAS
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hello,

On a local SAS software, I am using SAS(Unicode) to work with a dataset. I am going to send this to a friend who only uses SAS-Studio. How the data can be opened in SAS-Studio? or how can we get the Unicode environment in SAS-Studio?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

In SAS studio just change the SAS Workspace server that you are using to one that is defined to run using UTF-8 encoding.

image.png

If you do not see one available then check with your local SAS support to have on stood up for you to use.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
japelin
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

SAS Studio uses Unicode (UTF-8) as its default setting, so you should have no problem sending it as is.
If your friend is using a different character encoding in SAS Studio, your friends can change it in Preference>Text encoding.

andreas_lds
Jade | Level 19

@japelin wrote:

SAS Studio uses Unicode (UTF-8) as its default setting, so you should have no problem sending it as is.
If your friend is using a different character encoding in SAS Studio, your friends can change it in Preference>Text encoding.

Sorry, but this is wrong. SAS-Studio assumes all text-files (including programs) are in UTF-8, but this doesn't mean, that the underlying app-server is setup to use unicode.

The following log was created using our local sas studio with the default app-server:

69         proc options option=encoding;run;

SAS (r) Proprietary Software Release 9.4  TS1M5

ENCODING=WLATIN1  Specifies the default character-set encoding for the SAS session.
japelin
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

@andreas_lds 

Thank you for letting me know!

I have only used SAS Studio with SAS ODA, so I did not know about it.

Emma_at_SAS
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Thanks, andreas_Ids. So, how can I change the encoding to Unicode?

Thanks
Shmuel
Garnet | Level 18

As already said SAS STUDIO uses UTF8 encoding.

UTF stands for: Unicode Transformation Format.

The 8 in UTF8 defines the input character length. It enables 2 bytes length too.

UTF16 enables up to 4 bytes length (I think it is used by Japanese, Chinese and some other languages)

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

In SAS studio just change the SAS Workspace server that you are using to one that is defined to run using UTF-8 encoding.

image.png

If you do not see one available then check with your local SAS support to have on stood up for you to use.

Emma_at_SAS
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Thanks, Tom! Do I ask our IT team to add "SASAppUTF" or the "Change SAS Workspace Server" or I just ask them to give me access to use a UTF environment?

Thanks
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

The menu I posted should be standard SAS/Studio, but the list of available SAS Workspace servers is what they should control.

So just ask them to give you access to run SAS with Unicode support (encoding='utf-8') and to explain to you how you can connect to it.  How to do it they need to figure out.  SAS will support them.

Emma_at_SAS
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Also, that UTF access comes to all machines in our department or each person should send a separate request if needed?

Thanks
Emma_at_SAS
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hello, 

I thought I share this here for those who may come to this post later. 

In Sas-Studio, under More application options, we have an option for Character policy and we can select the Default text encoding and UTF-8 is an option.

Thanks 

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 5 in conversation