BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
srapp88
Calcite | Level 5

I previously had a question on getting ALTLOG to work and it was answered per this:

https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Programming/Setting-up-ALTLOG-in-SASV9-cfg-FIle/m-p/506426#M13576...

However i have noticed that when running SAS jobs in batch they do not pick up these settings and instead create a file with:

%l_%n_%Y%m%d_%H%M%s_%p.log

For example a correct and incorrect log:

SASLogs.JPG

From reading the article at: https://go.documentation.sas.com/?docsetId=lesysoptsref&docsetTarget=p0fmptfnyvi1n6n148u0qu4h44a5.ht...

I can see it states it should work for both in line and batch mode but when every i run a job in batch I get the above.

I have got around this by putting in the Batch script - 

-ALTLOG "D:\SAS_Logs\%username%_%computername%_%stamp%.log"

But i wanted to know what I am getting wrong or does the config simply not work in batch like this?

2 REPLIES 2
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Does this note from the documentation help?

Note: If you start SAS in batch mode or server mode and the LOGCONFIGLOC= option is specified, logging is done by the SAS logging facility. The traditional SAS log option LOGPARM= is ignored. The traditional SAS log option LOG= is honored only when the %S{App.Log} conversion character is specified in the logging configuration file. For more information, see The SAS Logging Facility in SAS Logging: Configuration and Programming Reference.

srapp88
Calcite | Level 5

Apologies i meant to mention that in the original post, i read that as well but it mentions that this would be loaded on the start of a new SAS Session, however the option LOGCONFIGLOC is not in my config files and seeing as both Batch and Interactive sessions load from the same config i would expect them to currently act the same.

Additionally even if the config was set without me changing it, the llogs location i have set is a separate folder that is only specified using the -altlog location in the SAS.cfg file suggesting it is pulling that setting but simply not converting the various switches that have been set.

Unless this parameter is in a separate config? Just for clarity's sake this is not a planned deployment just a single server (4x single servers) using Base SA 9.4 no MetaData etc.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 2 in conversation