BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Fer_
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello everyone, 

I want to calculate buy and hold abnormal return for 252 days for daily dataset for different firms (identify by cusip), I provide my dataset bellow. 

BHAR(1) = { [(1+ret) of day1] * [(1+ret) of day2] * [(1+ret) of day 3] * [(1+ret) of day4] *  ... * [(1+ret) of day 252] } - { [(1+vwretd) of day1] * [(1+vwretd) of day2] * [(1+vwretd) of day3] * [(1+vwretd) of day4] *  ... * [(1+vwretd) of day252 }

I really appreciate your help. 

Thanks in advance

photo1.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mkeintz
PROC Star
  1. Do you want rolling 252-day returns?
  2. Do you want only full 252-day windows?

Let's say your answer to each question is yes.  Then: (code amended):

data want (drop=_:);
  set have;
  by cusip notsorted;

if first.cusip then call missing(_obs,_sum_log_cusip_ret_plus1,_sum_log_index_ret_plus1);
  _obs+1;

_sum_log_cusip_ret_plus1 + log(1+ret)    - ifn(_obs>252,lag252(log(1+ret)),0) ;

_sum_log_index_ret_plus1 + log(1+vwretd) - ifn(_obs>252,lag252(log(1+vwretd)),0);

window_start = lag251(year) ;

if _obs>=252 ;
  bhar_252 =  exp(_sum_log_cusip_ret_plus1) - exp(_sum_log_index_ret_plus1) ;
run;

This assumes your data are sorted by cusip and date (which you have labelled as year).  Now if the data are not sorted by cusip, but are sorted by date within cusip, you can change

by cusip;

to

by cusip notsorted;

Now note that this involves calculating 252-day cumulative returns for VWRETD for each CUSIP.  But the VWRETD is based on a market index, and thus has the same value for every cusip on each given date.  This means that if you have, say, 400 CUSIPs, you will be calculating the same values 400 times for the VWRETD components, where you really need to do it only once.  After calculating those returns once, you can store them in an array indexed by date.  Then, for each CUSIP, just retrieve them for calculating BHAR by date.  In other words, you could cut down your total calculations by half (400 times for 400 CUSIP returns, but only once for index returns).

Edited note:  I didn't notice a missing close paren in the lag252 argument.  It should have been lag252(log(1+ret)), not lag252(log(1+ret).  Same with the vwretd-based component.  It's now corrected in the code above.

Also I have added retrieval of a window starting date, as per other comments by @Fer_.

--------------------------
The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
Reeza
Super User
Please provide sample data as text or ideally as a data step, not as an image. I'm assuming you have a large data set?
Output is one number per CUSIP per year? Resets every year or is cumulative? Is your data guaranteed to have the correct data intervals or could you have missing data that needs to be accounted for?
Fer_
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks for your reply. 

Yes I have a large dataset. I provide a sample bellow as text. For every year in my sample, I have stock return and market return without missing data.( I already delete them)

cusip yearret vwretd 
1100119900123-0.055-0.002
1100119900124-0.0098-0.006
1100119900125-0.009-0.013
1100119900128-0.0087-0.007
1100219900204-0.0019-0.004
1100219900205-0.014-0.0045
11002202112310.004-0.007
1100319900116-0.0140.001

11003202112310.005-0.007
mkeintz
PROC Star
  1. Do you want rolling 252-day returns?
  2. Do you want only full 252-day windows?

Let's say your answer to each question is yes.  Then: (code amended):

data want (drop=_:);
  set have;
  by cusip notsorted;

if first.cusip then call missing(_obs,_sum_log_cusip_ret_plus1,_sum_log_index_ret_plus1);
  _obs+1;

_sum_log_cusip_ret_plus1 + log(1+ret)    - ifn(_obs>252,lag252(log(1+ret)),0) ;

_sum_log_index_ret_plus1 + log(1+vwretd) - ifn(_obs>252,lag252(log(1+vwretd)),0);

window_start = lag251(year) ;

if _obs>=252 ;
  bhar_252 =  exp(_sum_log_cusip_ret_plus1) - exp(_sum_log_index_ret_plus1) ;
run;

This assumes your data are sorted by cusip and date (which you have labelled as year).  Now if the data are not sorted by cusip, but are sorted by date within cusip, you can change

by cusip;

to

by cusip notsorted;

Now note that this involves calculating 252-day cumulative returns for VWRETD for each CUSIP.  But the VWRETD is based on a market index, and thus has the same value for every cusip on each given date.  This means that if you have, say, 400 CUSIPs, you will be calculating the same values 400 times for the VWRETD components, where you really need to do it only once.  After calculating those returns once, you can store them in an array indexed by date.  Then, for each CUSIP, just retrieve them for calculating BHAR by date.  In other words, you could cut down your total calculations by half (400 times for 400 CUSIP returns, but only once for index returns).

Edited note:  I didn't notice a missing close paren in the lag252 argument.  It should have been lag252(log(1+ret)), not lag252(log(1+ret).  Same with the vwretd-based component.  It's now corrected in the code above.

Also I have added retrieval of a window starting date, as per other comments by @Fer_.

The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for

Fer_
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks for your response.

I got these two errors:

ERROR 72-185: The LAG function call has too many arguments.

ERROR 71-185: The IFN function call does not have enough arguments.

for these lines of code:

sum_log_cusip_ret_plus1 + log(1+ret)- ifn(_obs>252,lag252(log(1+ret),0));
_sum_log_index_ret_plus1 + log(1+vwretd) - ifn(_obs>252,lag252(log(1+vwretd),0));

Do you know how to solve them? Thanks in advance. 

mkeintz
PROC Star

This is why it's helpful to offer sample data in the form of a working data step.  I usually test against sample data.  In any case, this appears to be the result of a forgotten close paren, which I've changed in my initial response.

Fer_
Fluorite | Level 6

And yes I want the rolling 252-days, which means that for each date and each cusip, I want to calculate bhar for that date and 251 days after that. For example for day1, I need bhar from day1 to day 252, then day 2 to day 253, day 3 to day 254...... until then end for each cusip. 

Reeza
Super User
The 252 days - it doesn't matter if they're in a 'row' or should it be 252 days and ignore that there are missing values?
Fer_
Fluorite | Level 6

I do not have missing values. I already delete them. 

Reeza
Super User
So you have a 252 day sequence that's always in order with no daily gaps? My mistake, I interpreted your comment as you deleted the observations with missing data and thus had gaps in your time series, ie your dates could jump if data was missing.
Reeza
Super User
Glad to hear. I probably wouldn't refer to that as 'I delete them' for your missing data. You've accounted for missing intervals in some manner instead (interpolation, spline etc), which is ideal. Good luck with your analysis!
mkeintz
PROC Star

@Fer_ wrote:

And yes I want the rolling 252-days, which means that for each date and each cusip, I want to calculate bhar for that date and 251 days after that. For example for day1, I need bhar from day1 to day 252, then day 2 to day 253, day 3 to day 254...... until then end for each cusip. 

My previous code used the end-of-window date, but I've added code to provide beginning of window date.

Reeza
Super User

@mkeintz your code does a 252 observation rolling calculation. If you're missing 6 months of data in there for some reason it will use part of one year and part of the other? (6 months isn't realistic but the trading days do vary by CUSPID IIRC).

Fer_
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks for the code, unfortunately as my dataset is too large, I just could provide a small sample of it. I have a question about the code. My dataset starts from 1990 to 2021, but by running the code the window start is from 1991, which means that for every date the code notice to 252 days before that date. but I want to see 252 days ahead of each date. BHAR for day1= (1+ret day1)(1+ret of day2)....(1+ret day252)- ((1+vwretd day1)(1+vwretd day2)...(1+vwretd day252)). 

I am thankful for your help. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 4 in conversation