BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
robertrao
Quartz | Level 8

Hi,

I have two variables and place is beside remove in the dataset i am puliing data from

i wanted

place can be between May2013-June2013 but  remove in JUNE only

I get zero records in the datasets i am creating even though it says there are 900 records with the dates i specified?

is my approach correct?

%let start =01MAY2013;
%let end =31MAY2013;

%let start2 =01JUN2013;
%let end2 =30JUN2013;

DATA JUNE_out_1 JUNE_IN_1 MAY_IN_1;
SET HAVE(keep=id PLACE REMOVE);
WHERE ("&start"D <=PLACE<= "&end2"D)  and ("&start2"D <=REMOVE <= "&end2"D);

IF ("&start2"D <=REMOVE<= "&end2"D) THEN DO;
FLAG="OUT";
OUTPUT JUNE_out_1;
END;

IF ("&start2"D <=PLACE <= "&end2"D)THEN DO;
FLAG="IN";
OUTPUT JUNE_IN_1;
END;

IF ("&start"D <=PLACE <= "&end"D)THEN DO;
FLAG="IN";
OUTPUT MAY_IN_1;
END;
RUN;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

So it looks like your variables are DATETIME instead of DATE.

You either change the literals in your conditions to datetime literals or use the DATEPART() function.

WHERE ("&start"D <=datepart(PLACE)<= "&end2"D)  and ("&start2"D <=datepart(REMOVE) <= "&end2"D);

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
art297
Opal | Level 21

Do you expect records to meet both of those conditions? i.e.:

If not, possibly you should have used:

WHERE ("&start"D <=PLACE<= "&end2"D)  or ("&start2"D <=REMOVE <= "&end2"D);

robertrao
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Art,

Thnaks for the reply.

"Place " can be  in may or june but "remove" has to be in june only....

so i think it has to meet both the conditions

that criteria is because some records might have a "place" in May and remove in "july".........in this scenario i want only the "place" value

if i use OR condition then a person who had a "place " in January but remove in "June" comes up which we dont want!!!

the second problem is that with the code i provided is that i am getting zero records for all the datasets i created!!!!

could you please tell where i went wrong???

Thanks

art297
Opal | Level 21

I think you have to let the forum know what your rules actually are and provide some sample data (including the values and file assignment you want to achieve).

Since you currently aren't getting any records, either none of your records meet your where condition or, if any do, they don't meeting your two if conditions.

I would remove the where for now and simply expand your two if conditions to meet whatever your criteria actually are.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Code looks fine.  Look at the data.

Try

proc freq ;

tables place*remove / list  ;

format place remove yymon. ;

run;

robertrao
Quartz | Level 8

Hi,

With only using the where condition i created only one dataset and did a proc freq on that and the result is as floows!!!!

Cumulative    Cumulative
              PLACE    REMOVE    Frequency     Percent     Frequency      Percent

*******         *******                     901      100.00            901              100.00

PGStats
Opal | Level 21

Is there a variable called PLACE in your HAVE dataset?

PG
robertrao
Quartz | Level 8

Hi PG,

the INSTANT is the PLACE ariable....I mistakenly wrote it as INSTANT

I corrected it

Sorry abt that

PGStats
Opal | Level 21

Do you use a database to store your datasets? The formating of your date variables as asterisks suggest that they somehow were transformed into datetime values which puts them outside the range of date numbers. Just a guess.

PG
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

So it looks like your variables are DATETIME instead of DATE.

You either change the literals in your conditions to datetime literals or use the DATEPART() function.

WHERE ("&start"D <=datepart(PLACE)<= "&end2"D)  and ("&start2"D <=datepart(REMOVE) <= "&end2"D);

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 4 in conversation