BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Melk
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

I am running a proc hpgenselect logistic model using lasso selection. I understand hpgenselect already uses group lasso methods for class variables. However, I additionally have 2 variables (part of a spline - 1 represents continuous variable less than X and the other represents continuous variable greater than X) that I want to keep together. How can I do this as they are not part of the same class variable?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

OK, great. The model

model Y = Z1 Z2 x2-x10;

is the same as the model 

class C;
model Y = C*x1 x2-x10;

where C = (X>0);

In the first model (your situation) the Z1 and Z2 variables can enter/leave independently whereas in the second model the C*x1 term is either in or out. So all you need to do is define the binary class variable C instead of the two continuous variables Z1 and Z2.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Turn them into a class variable is one way to keep them together.

Although it is certainly pointless to put two variables in the model where one is (continuous variable < X) and the other is (continuous variable > X). They are not telling you different things, they are telling you the same things.

--
Paige Miller
Melk
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Since the continuous predictor was nonlinear, I elected to split the variable into 2, so I can model the risk of Y when the variable is less than X and then separately when the variable is greater than or equal to X. I don't understand why this was pointless? This way we can interpret the data less than X and greater than X appropriately. How would you have done it ?

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Nevermind, I forgot that you are using splines here.

--
Paige Miller
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

Since HPGENSELECT does not support the EFFECT statement, how did you generate the spline effects? Are they from a design matrix? If so, it seems like you can use the INCLUDE= option on the MODEL statement to force them both into the model.

If I am misunderstanding, please post your code so we can see what you are doing.

Melk
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
I generated the splines when I was checking the bivariate associations between my predictors and dependent variable. I just basically split the X variable into 2 variables and am calling them splines, sorry for the confusion. I cannot use the include option in the model statement because I dont want to force them in the model, I merely want to group them together so either both or neither end up in the final model selected.
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

Let's see if I understand this. You had an original variable that I'll call X. You create new variables that are equal to X above or below some cutoff value and zero otherwise, like this:

Z1 = X*(X<0);     /* assuming X=0 is cutoff value */

Z2 = X*(X>=0);  

Your model includes Z1 and Z2. You want the final model to either include both Z1 and Z2 or include neither?

Am I close? If not, please post your code.

Melk
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Precisely!
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

OK, great. The model

model Y = Z1 Z2 x2-x10;

is the same as the model 

class C;
model Y = C*x1 x2-x10;

where C = (X>0);

In the first model (your situation) the Z1 and Z2 variables can enter/leave independently whereas in the second model the C*x1 term is either in or out. So all you need to do is define the binary class variable C instead of the two continuous variables Z1 and Z2.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation