BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
nickb
Calcite | Level 5
I recently posted a question on how to strip leading zeros so that I could build up a FTP put statement. It worked great but the first put statement referenced a file that doesn't exist. I was wondering if there is a way to grab a directory and put it into a data set? Once this is accomplished I can then join the valid files in the directory.

Nick
15 REPLIES 15
ArtC
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
Take a look at the FEXIST function. It can be used in the DATA step or with %SYSFUNC. There are other solutions as well, but check this one out first.
Robert_Bardos
Fluorite | Level 6
Couldn't you just use the FILEEXIST function to verify the file's existence?

Robert
nickb
Calcite | Level 5
I'm not familiar with that? Will it give you the capability to continue on if the file doesn't exist?
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
The two functions have different purposes - yes, you can code a SAS program to provide condition path-execution depending on the results of the function call -- most often done with SAS macro language but conceivably possible with DATA step code that generates subsequent-executed SAS statements (other PROCs or DATA steps).

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.
Robert_Bardos
Fluorite | Level 6
Sure, just include it in the flow of your datastep. Somewhat like

data _null_ ;
if fileexist(your_file)=1 then put 'put ....' ;
run;

Referring to your FTP problem, you will have to construct a variable containing the complete filename. In my example above that would be variable "your_file".

Robert
nickb
Calcite | Level 5
I have one hard file value and it isn't working properly. Also, there are 44,000 'put' statements that I need to verify on the directory.

data _null_ ;
set work.display_data end=lastobs ;
file max_pics;
if _n_ = 1 then put 'cd incoming/images' ;
idnum = input(person_id_nb,best.) ;
if fileexist ("\\myfile\61.jpg")=1
then put 'put \\myfilepath' idnum +(-1) '.jpg' ;
if lastobs then put 'quit' ;
run ;
Robert_Bardos
Fluorite | Level 6
No, you just have two statements that verify all 44,000 filenames, namely:

[pre]
my_file = '\\my_file\'!!trim(put(id,best.-l))!!'.jpg' ;
if fileexist(my_file)=1 then put 'put ....' ;
[/pre]

Robert
nickb
Calcite | Level 5
still not working.

data _null_ ;
set work.display_data end=lastobs ;
file max_pics;
if _n_ = 1 then put 'cd incoming/images' ;
idnum = input(person_id_nb,best.) ;
my_file= '\\batgirl\webroot_root$\JRun4\servers\cfusion2\cfusion.ear\cfusion.war\data\images\'!!trim(put(idnum,best.-1))!!'.jpg' ;
if fileexist (my_file)=1 then put my_file;
if lastobs then put 'quit' ;
run ;
Robert_Bardos
Fluorite | Level 6
I see one typo in your my_file construction statement, where it should say "best.-L" not "best.-1". The -L suffix means "justified left" (although I think it is not really needed there).

As an aside: things like this should always be tested with a minimal setup.

Another point (and completely untested): you might need to quote my_file in the fileexist invocation, somewhat like

if fileexist("'"!!my_file!!"'") ....

Time to go home now ... kind regards
Robert
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Also, you should test your code first by echoing it back to the SASLOG for your own desk-checking.....I don't see where you actually generate the FTP "put " command verb, only the file-name. Hopefully you are reviewing any FTP log output, right?

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.
nickb
Calcite | Level 5
I'm using a batch file for my SFTP. I plan on having this output go to a file that the batch will reference when it runs.
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Okay, so you have a "cd" command, a "quit" command, but no "put" command (verb)? Only the file-name to be transfered is generated in the output file? Is that what you are trying to say?

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.
nickb
Calcite | Level 5
For the most part. My code is missing the 'put' statement and once I get this working, I will add it in. The put statement will be based on the records that are in a temp dataset (roughly 40,000 ids) and of those ids, I only want the ones that exist in my lookup directory location. Once the code is correct, I should have a put statement of ids that are in my temp data set and also exist in my lookup directory. Basically, I'm trying to build up a 'PUT' statement for student pictures and I only want the ids in my temp dataset and those that are located in the pics directory. I had the file built earlier but once the put statement encountered a file that didn't exist, it bombed.
Patrick
Opal | Level 21
Hi

The code below should give you an idea of how you could proceed.

filename dirlist pipe 'dir c:\temp\*.jpg /b';

data dirlist;
infile dirlist delimiter='.';
input id:$32.;
run;

data have;
length id $32;
do id='1','10','42','43','44';
output;
end;
run;

data want;
/* declare hash table to look up ID from dirlist */
if _n_=1 then
do;
length id $32.;
declare hash h (dataset:'dirlist');
rc = h.defineKey('id');
rc = h.defineDone( );
call missing(id);
end;

set have;
if h.check()=0 then /* true if ID exists in lookup table */
do;
put 'ID ' id 'exists in the have table and as file under c:\temp';
end;
run;

For testing I've created two files under c:\temp : 2.jpg and 43.jpg

Running the code above "putted" the following line to the log:
"ID 43 exists in the have table and as file under c:\temp"

HTH
Patrick

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation