BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
blue_lion
Calcite | Level 5

Hi

I have monthly growth rates (Growth_A and Growth_B) and my aim is to create indicators(Index_A and Index_B) based on these growth rates.

Index always starts with the value of "1" and then take the value of (previous month's index value)*(1+monthly growth rate) after the first month.

For example, Index_A starts with 1 and then 1.2 after 20% growth. Then 1.2*(1+0.3) = 1.56 so on and so forth.

MonthGrowth_AGrowth_BIndex_AIndex_B
Jan..1.00.
Feb20%.1.201.00
Mar30%10%1.561.10
Apr-50%30%0.781.43
May10%-5%0.861.36

Here is the code I wrote, but I get missing values because the lag function somehow does not retain the value of "1" from the very 1st period.

I tried with if..then..else statement and other ways of coding, but I get the same error because the lag function is not working.

It would be great if someone could let me know other ways to code this multiplication based on previously calculated value.

Data new;

set have;

Index_A=ifn(growth_A=".",1,(1+growth_A)*lag(index_A));

run;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
stat_sas
Ammonite | Level 13

data have;
input Month $ Growth_A Growth_B;
datalines;
Jan . .
Feb 0.20 .
Mar 0.30 0.10
Apr -0.50 0.30
May 0.10 -0.05
;

Data new;
set have;
retain index_a index_b 1;
Index_A=(1+coalesce(growth_A,0))*index_A;
Index_B=(1+coalesce(growth_B,0))*index_B;
run;

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
jakarman
Barite | Level 11

do not use the lag function condtional unless you understand that it is a queue function not the same as retain
The first call will always return a missing. You should solve that in your logic.

---->-- ja karman --<-----
blue_lion
Calcite | Level 5

I see. I did not know the lag function in a conditional statement will always return a missing value.

Reeza
Super User

1. I would expect growth_A to be a numeric variable so that the first comparison would cause an issue as it's a character comparison.

growth_A="."

Replace with:

growth_a=.

2. I'm not sure how your sample matches what you want as the first value in the table for index_a is not 1. Is that table what you're getting or what you want? Its easiest if you post two tables, the first being what you have and the second being what you want.

stat_sas
Ammonite | Level 13

data have;
input Month $ Growth_A Growth_B;
datalines;
Jan . .
Feb 0.20 .
Mar 0.30 0.10
Apr -0.50 0.30
May 0.10 -0.05
;

Data new;
set have;
retain index_a index_b 1;
Index_A=(1+coalesce(growth_A,0))*index_A;
Index_B=(1+coalesce(growth_B,0))*index_B;
run;

blue_lion
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Reeza, thanks for your comment. The table in my original post is the one I want to create.

What I have is the first 3 columns (month, growth_A, growth_B).

I have historical price of A from Jan, but when I calculated monthly growth rate as in the table, it starts from the following month Feb.

So I want to have Jan as a base month so the value of "1" is assigned.

For B, I only have historical price from Feb, so the growth rate starts from Mar.

For index B, I understand that my code does not give "." for the month of Jan, but I was planning to deal with it after solving the lag function issue.

Hi Stat@sas,

Thank you so much for your help! I just couldn't think of ways to code this without lag function, but it really makes sense now.

I did not know "coalesce" function, but it is useful. Thanks again!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 7 likes
  • 4 in conversation