BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
andy_wk
Calcite | Level 5

I'm having this macro. The aim is to take the name of variables from the table dicofr and put the rows inside into variable name using a symput.

However , something is not working correctly because that variable, &nvarname, is not seen as a variable.

This is the content of dico&&pays&l

varname descr

var12 aza

var55 ghj

var74 mcy

This is the content of dico&&pays&l..1

varname

var12

var55

var74

Below is my code

%macro testmac;  %let pays1=FR ;  %do l=1 %to 1 ; 

data dico&&pays&l..1 ;

set dico&&pays&l (keep=varname); call symput("nvarname",trim(left(_n_))) ;

run ; 

data a&&pays&l; set a&&pays&l;

nouv_date=mdy(substr(date,6,2),01,substr(date,1,4));

format nouv_date monyy5.;

run;  

proc sql; create table toto (nouv_date date , nomvar varchar (12)); quit; 

proc sql;  insert into toto SELECT max(nouv_date),'&nvarname' as nouv_date as varname FROM a&&pays&l WHERE (&nvarname ne .);  

%end;

%mend; 

%testmac;

A subsidiary question. Is it possible to have the varname and the date related to that varname into a macro variable? My man-a told me about this but I have never done that before.

Thanks in advance.

7 REPLIES 7
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26
proc sql;  insert into toto SELECT max(nouv_date),'&nvarname' as nouv_date as varname FROM a&&pays&l WHERE (&nvarname ne .);   

You need to have double-quotes around &nvarname, not single quotes

But there seems to be an additional problem, the way you have coded the call symput, &nvarname will always have the same value ... is that what you want?

--
Paige Miller
andy_wk
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Paige,

I want to have the list of the variables var12  , var55 , var74.

andy_wk
Calcite | Level 5

What is the difference between single quote and double quote?

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Macros inside single quotes are treated as plain text, with no macro meaning whatsoever. Thus, '&nvarname' is treated as the text inside the single quotes.

Macros inside double quotes are treated as macros and resolved to their value. Thus, if &nvarname takes on the value 12, then "&nvarname" will be replaced by "12".

To get different values of your macro from the dataset you want something like

call symputx('nvarname'||left(_n_),varname);

Which will give you &nvarname1 to be var12, &nvarname2 to be var55 and so on.

--
Paige Miller
andy_wk
Calcite | Level 5

Paige,

I've replaced the code as such

data dico&&pays&l..1 ;

set dico&&pays&l (keep=varname);

call symputx('nvarname'||left(_n_),varname);

run ; 

proc sql; 

insert into toto SELECT max(nouv_date),"&nvarname" FROM a&&pays&l.._1 WHERE (&nvarname ne .);

And I got this error (see below)

ERROR 22-322: Syntax error, expecting one of the following: a name, a quoted string, a numeric constant,

a datetime constant, a missing value, BTRIM, INPUT, PUT, SUBSTRING, USER.

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

well, here its not really clear what you are doing or what you would like to insert into toto <== this is the key question, if I know what you wanted to have here, I think the steps would be simple to advise

but the syntax problem is that &nvarname doesn't exist, its not a macro variable any more, you now have macro variables &nvarname1 and &nvarname2 and &nvarname3

--
Paige Miller
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

What are you really trying to do?

Why not just summarize the data using PROC SUMMARY?

Include a simple example of INPUT and then OUTPUT wanted. Just include a few variables.

So if one table has a list of variable names and you want to use those names in a later place in SAS then perhaps PROC SQL is what you want to use?

proc sql noprint ;

select varname into :varlist separated by ' '  from namelist ;

quit;

proc summary data=HAVE ;

var &namelist ;

output out= WANT max= ;

run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation