BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.

Hi all,

i have a small doubt. There is one txt file.

To import it into  sas i used proc import method.

proc import datafile="D:\sample.txt"

out=ds

dbms=dlm

replace;

delimiter='09'X;

run;

By using this method some of the variables length is missing.

Suppose between variables here i mention i mention two variables. i.e. company name and sub branch company name.

Both are character variables.

sub branch length is 40 and it reads it completely.

But company name variable length is missing. its taking only 10.of

I don't know why its taken like that.

Is there any method to while reading the data from txt file to mention the length of variable. Is this possible in Proc Import.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Why are you using PROC IMPORT?

If you know the data then just write a data step to read the file.

Are you sure the file is tab delimited? Is it possible it is just a text file and the text editor has inserted random tabs where it thinks it can save space by replacing multiple spaces with a tab?

See: Reading Raw Data with the INPUT statement.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Hi,

As far as I am aware there is no method in proc import to set lengths.  The reason is that proc import is a wrapper.  Behind the scenes it is guessing what your data is and generating a datastep import program.  This import program is normally written to the log for text files, so you can take that code that is generated and modify it as you want.  IMO its not a good idea to use proc import as it "guesses" what its to do.  You know the data so are best placed to tell the code what to do. 

There may also be a couple of other things you want to be sure of, is the delimiter really 09X?  Does the strings contain special characters etc.  I would recommend a CSV format file with quoted strings to be safer, or if you want to go the whole hog, then XML.  Are you saving from Excel perhaps?  If so then you can just save as CSV from there.

data_null__
Jade | Level 19

Would adding the GUESSING rows option/statement fix your problem.  Have you looked at the documentation for PROC IMPORT?

Ravikumarkummari
Quartz | Level 8

GUESSING ROWS is worked in excel. here the data is tab delimited data. if the two variables having large size then some of the variables length is missing

so using proc import it is possible to mention length of variables while importing.

data_null__
Jade | Level 19

You need to RTM.

The GUESSINGROWS statement is valid only for delimited files.

Vish33
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

try using CSV as dbms. If this doesn't work , i think you need to check the data and why its getting truncated.

proc import datafile="D:\sample.txt"

out=ds

dbms=csv

replace;

delimiter='09'X;

run;

Ravikumarkummari
Quartz | Level 8

i used your method vish33  Sir but same result i am getting. Although there is no changes in data using dbms=tab or  dbms=csv.

variables length is missing. all are character variables.

Is there any efficient method that while importing mention variables size.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Why are you using PROC IMPORT?

If you know the data then just write a data step to read the file.

Are you sure the file is tab delimited? Is it possible it is just a text file and the text editor has inserted random tabs where it thinks it can save space by replacing multiple spaces with a tab?

See: Reading Raw Data with the INPUT statement.

Ravikumarkummari
Quartz | Level 8

Thank u for your valid comments. I follow data step infile statement to read the full length of variable. I used  colon":" before of every variable. Ex: company_name: $50.

So i got the result. Once again thank u all for spending time for my post.

Reeza
Super User

Please read

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

Delimiter option is not valid for DBMS=CSV, for obvious reasons.

'09'X is TAB. Try that as DBMS.

If that is not working for you, consider to use the data step instead, were you have complete control of field length etc.

Data never sleeps
Jim_G
Pyrite | Level 9

This is not an import but it reads txt files.   My normal record is 77 bytes long;    Jim

data master;

infile '/folders/myfolders/rawfiles/pre44.txt'

obs=99 length=rli  dlm=’09’x;

input dat: $varying200. rli @ ;

x=rli;   put _all_;

IF X = 77 THEN DO;

input @5 cat $10.  @15 desc $30. @47 yr $10.

@54 c7  $8.  @64  c8 $8.    @70 c10 $8.;

END;

run;

proc print;

run;

data_null__
Jade | Level 19

When reading delimited files formatted input is not appropriate. 

Amir
PROC Star

Hi,

Perhaps attach the sample.txt file (or a smaller version of it if it is large), so that we can see the data you're trying to read and show us what output you're seeing.

When you say "But company name variable length is missing. its taking only 10.of" Do you mean only the first 10 characters of company name are being read or only 10 fields are being read, or something else?

Regards,

Amir.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 like
  • 9 in conversation