BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

It should.
Still a bug though, SAS should not ask for a sort that cannot take place. And still no reason for whichever application does this to truncate values.

Another way to know if the passthrough is the culprit is to use a where clause in the data step, if I am not mistaken.

mattmoehr
Obsidian | Level 7

Editor's note: This question/challenge is specific to using PROC SQL with Microsoft Access and the SAS/ACCESS to PC Files engine.

@PGStats I'm not going to start using passthrough. Then my macros would be dependent on MS Access-specific sql, which is worse than the current situation. If I have to do a re-write, I'm going to move this into data steps.

@ChrisNZ The data steps work just fine with either the if statement or the where statement to select rows.

I've taken out the sort from SQL statement, but that does not seem to have any effect.

I think it all comes down to how the distinct clause is implemented. Apparently, it is only wants to "distinct-ify" the first 255 characters in a DB field, so it only spits out the first 255 chars? I dunno. I've removed the distinct clause from my production macro and the first use case, seems to work with our desired behavior.

PGStats
Opal | Level 21

I did not suggest to use SQL pass through. I suggested to use option NOIPASSTHRU which prevents SAS/SQL to issue implicit pass through commands to MS-Access.

PG
mattmoehr
Obsidian | Level 7

Sorry, I misread your suggestion about implicit pass through. I will try to test that approach as it seems the safest/least likely to break when other software changes. The SAS tech suggested something about editting my registry for 'typeguessrows', but I don't think I want to put time into that approach because it requires admin privliges on each users' machine, which I may not have.

Is this the best documentation for NOIPASSTHRU?

... I was hoping there was a list of DB-specific functions that were implicitely passed. Does such a list exist anywhere?

mattmoehr
Obsidian | Level 7
(That's the link to the SAS docs. I put it in a "quick reply" because the comment editor does not recognize the link to SAS's documentation as a valid URI. Probably because it has two # bookmarks in it.)
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

@mattmoehr wrote:

@PGStats I'm not going to start using passthrough. Then my macros would be dependent on MS Access-specific sql, which is worse than the current situation. If I have to do a re-write, I'm going to move this into data steps.

But this is what actually happens. SAS hands the "distinct" over to Access so that the sorting is done within the database (default SAS behaviour when using ACCESS to Relational Databases). DATA steps don't do that, and forcing SAS to do the necessary sort by itself when using SQL should also get a clearer view on the problem.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 16 likes
  • 5 in conversation