BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
jerry898969
Pyrite | Level 9

Hello everyone,

I'm about to start a project that is a windows forms front end with c# in the code behind and sas as the back end.   My question is if i'm using oledb can multiple users do an update, insert or delete on the same table at the same time?

Thank you

7 REPLIES 7
jerry898969
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi Hai,

Thank you for your reply.  Yes we are using a SAS/SHARE.

Thank you

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

I sugest that you resd the SHARE documentation.  It will allow concurrent reads and updates,  but not entirely the same way as a RDBMS.

Data never sleeps
SASKiwi
PROC Star

If you are using SAS/SHARE with SAS datasets then OLEDB would not be necessary.

jerry898969
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi LinusH,

Sorry for my delayed response but I ready the SHARE documentation and I didn't fully understand it.  Do I need to handle the row locks myself?

I looked at Chapter 5 Locking SAS Data Objects and I understand the locking portion.  I want to make sure that is the correct way to go about doing it.

Thank you again for any help

SASKiwi
PROC Star

The way I read it SAS/SHARE provides a default set of rules for locking SAS data depending on how you are accessing it. However you can override these rules by applying locks explicity with the LOCK statement/command. However that's just my take on the doc, not having used SHARE myself. Best to get other opinions from those who actually use it.

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

I've used SAS/Share in the past. You can select if you want a table lock or a row level lock. I would assume you normally would want row level locking.

Yes, you can have several processes with write access on row level. That's what SAS/Share is for.

Be aware that SAS/Share is single threaded so there could be some performance issues if you're having lots of users accessing at the same time. I try normally to use a DBMS if I need concurrent write access (or read/write at the same time).

I strongly prefer using SAS/Share for small tables only like control tables and the like - but we don't have always the luxury of choice....

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation