BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
brp4h
Calcite | Level 5
Is it possible to force proc summary to include all possible combinations of variables in the where statement, even when those combinations don't appear in the dataset? I know that you can do this for the class statement. Maybe in conjunction with proc report?

Thanks!
3 REPLIES 3
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Consider sharing sample INPUT and (desired) OUTPUT data represented - consider the WHERE statement is an input filter and the WHERE= (the dataset option) is an output-side filter. You're asking that combinations not meeting the WHERE statement filter criteria be included in the SUMMARY execution output -- plz help to explain this opportunity with your data-sample as an example of what you want to see.

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.
brp4h
Calcite | Level 5
Hi, Scott,

Here is an example:

year channel type numloans
1 A 1 100
2 B 1 5
3 C 1 23
4 A 2 7
5 B 2 10

proc summary data=loan_all missing completetypes;
class year channel /preloadfmt exclusive;
var numloans;
output out=test sum=;
format channel $channellbl.;
where type in ('1','2','3');
run;

My output will have every permutation of year and channel for types 1 and 2, but not for 3 because type is not in the class statement and never appears in the data. How can I print 0 for numloans for every permutation of year and channel for type 3? I cannot create a temporary dataset with all 0s because the variables will change each time the program is run.
art297
Opal | Level 21
I'm not sure I understand what you are looking for. The following is based on the understanding that the data desribes the years and channels, but a where statement is the only thing that describes the desired 'types' you want to include.

If that is correct, then I'd suggest including the where statement as a macro variable and using it to build a file that contains all of the possible permutations.

For example:

proc format;
value $ channellbl
'A'='First'
'B'='Second'
'C'='Third';
run;

data loan_all;
input year (channel type) ($1.) numloans;
cards;
1 A1 100
2 B1 5
3 C1 23
4 A2 7
5 B2 10
;

%let where='1','2','3';

proc sort data=loan_all (keep=year) nodupkey out=allcombos1;
by year;
run;

proc sort data=loan_all (keep=channel) nodupkey out=allcombos2;
by channel;
run;

data allcombos3 (drop=_:);
length type $1;
_want=compress("&where.","'");
_i=1;
do while (scan(_want,_i) NE "");
type=put(scan(_want,_i),$1.);
_i+1;
output;
end;
run;

proc sql;
create table selectlevels as
select *
from Allcombos1,Allcombos2,Allcombos3
;
quit;

proc summary data=loan_all completetypes missing nway
classdata=selectlevels;
class year channel type;

var numloans;
output out=test sum=;
format channel $channellbl.;
where type in (&where.);
run;

data test;
set test;
if missing(numloans) the numloans=0;
run;

proc print data=test;
run;

The code, of course, could be reconfigured to be a SAS macro, in itself, but I didn't think it was worth the effort until we find out that it is close to what you were seeking.

Art

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation