BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
taylormblack
Calcite | Level 5

I am dealing with real time data from an indoor air monitor.  When the monitor runs out of alcohol, the machine reads 0.  I am interested in creating a subset of my data that only includes the "0" observations and the preceding 30 observations. 

I think I may be able to do this with some form of an IF/THEN statement before OUTPUT, but I am unsure.  Maybe something like this?

DATA library.air_30;
SET library.air;
IF concentration=0 then OUTPUT *previous 30 observations* library.air_30;
RUN; 

Can anyone offer some help with this?  Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
Reeza
Super User

Maybe reverse the order of your data and then it becomes a bit easier to look forward rather than backwards?

@taylormblack wrote:

I am dealing with real time data from an indoor air monitor.  When the monitor runs out of alcohol, the machine reads 0.  I am interested in creating a subset of my data that only includes the "0" observations and the preceding 30 observations. 

I think I may be able to do this with some form of an IF/THEN statement before OUTPUT, but I am unsure.  Maybe something like this?

DATA library.air_30;
SET library.air;
IF concentration=0 then OUTPUT *previous 30 observations* library.air_30;
RUN; 

Can anyone offer some help with this?  Thanks in advance.

Astounding
PROC Star

It should be relatively straightforward, such as:

data want;

set have;

by concentration notsorted;

if concentration=0 and first.concentration;

do recnum = max(1, _n_ - 30) to _n_;

set have point=recnum;

output;

end;

run;

However, what happens in real life when the alcohol runs out?  (I know, the party's over, and everyone goes home.)  Could you have several observations in a row that have concentration=0?  Would you be retrieving some observations over and over again?

******************** EDITED in light of new information.

taylormblack
Calcite | Level 5
Hahaha, unfortunately the party ends and the machine keeps reading “0” until we refill the alcohol cartridge. So yes, I guess I would have a lot of duplicates. Is there a way to just subset the first “0” observation and the 30 preceding?

Thank you so much for your help with this. I am still getting the hang of SAS.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation