BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
CheerfulChu
Obsidian | Level 7

Dear Experts,

I am using SASI in Unix. How to you clear the buffers and memories in current session so that I can "restart' a new session? Now I have to end the sas environment and re-invoke to start the sas session in order to have a "new" environment.

Thank you for your advices

Leo

14 REPLIES 14
CheerfulChu
Obsidian | Level 7

No one knows?

Leo

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

Which buffers / memory   output?  log? Iofiles-caching? SAS-work? what tool? X11 terminal or Eguide usage?  Eguide 5/1 or up with parallel code submission?
More questions as answers as your environment and issue is not very clear described.

---->-- ja karman --<-----
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

You can't. Creating a new session is the only way. Not hard if you're using SAS EG or SAS Studio (just disconnect/reconnect the server).

If this is about testing programs and you want to be 100% sure that nothing interferes with your test then run the programs in batch (where they get their own environment).

What's the actual issue you try to resolve? It should be possible to clean-out certain areas like all work tables. Or do you try to handle "out of resource" situations SAS(R) 9.4 System Options: Reference, Third Edition ?

CheerfulChu
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Jaap and Patrick,

Yes. I tried to clear the old variables' names and values left behind from running a sas program before running a new sas program. I want to have a clean environment before running a new sas program. ie Clear away the global, local variables.

I am using Unix, Sas 9.1. In Unix, I type "SASI" to invoke sas interactive environment. This is where I run my source code. Have you seen SASI environment? Its plain. You key in your source code in each line and the output is shown on the next line. Not like the window environment in my laptop where colours are used to differentiate comments and keywords, output is shown on output window etc.

I am a new user to Sas in Unix environment. Sorry for my lack of information. I not sure where I can check if its SAS EG, or SAS studio or SAS Eguide.

Thank you for your advices

Leo

SASKiwi
PROC Star

OMG - sounds like you are using SAS line mode. Is your line prompt a question mark (?) with a line number? If it is then you are using THE original SAS interface. Congratulations!

If you exit this interface and re-start it then you are definitely clearing your SAS environment.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

You are running with the -nodms (no Display Manager) setting.

That should load very quickly so the quickest way to "clear" would be to exit and start it again.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

That SASI seems to be a script (which someone set up) that calls SAS. Type "which SASI" on the command line, this will give you the full path to the script. Then do "cat the_full_path" to see the contents of that script.

The one important feature of the line interface is that it does not need a GUI to work, but it is extremely clumsy. Try to get in touch with your SAS admin, he/she may be able to provide you with better options.

CheerfulChu
Obsidian | Level 7

SASKiwi: Yes you are right!

Tom and KurtBremser: That script writes " exec sas -nodms $argv:q". Guess there are no other alternatives to clearing the environment except to close and open.

Now I see my better solution is if there are other better options. Sadly, we don't have any SaS admin. Would anyone be able to advice me what better options I can take to use in Unix?

I once type sas in the command line and the "window" style SaS appeared. I found it to be slow, the coloring of the wordings are not consistent, copy and paste is difficult, the backspace could not be used.

Thank you

Leo

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

- you have SAS installed

- you are working with SAS

- nobody else seems to have more SAS knowledge than you

-> This makes YOU the SAS admin! Which means you need to acquire the required knowledge, either by attending the appropriate courses or looking a SAS consultant over the shoulder.

- since 9.1 is WAY out of date, you need to upgrade to a current release (9.4). This will open up a multitude of options like SAS Enterprise Guide, SAS Studio, Web Applications etc

To make your current installation work, I suggest getting a better X windowing system (SAS 9.1.3 works quite well when run remotely via Xmanager) and trying to set up Enterprise Guide 4.1 if you have Integration Technologies licensed (what you most probably have). EG 4.1 is included in the software media that you received (if IT is licensed, again).

For further help, I suggest you post your current setup (operating system and version, how you access the user interface / commandline, etc)

CheerfulChu
Obsidian | Level 7

you need to upgrade to a current release (9.4).

>> My company wont be upgrading it because she worries compatible issues. We have critical production that is running everyday and our system is large and uses Sas throughout.

EG 4.1 is included in the software media that you received (if IT is licensed, again).

>> I have to check with my supervisor

current setup (operating system and version, how you access the user interface / commandline, etc)

>> I am using xterm to access the unix via my PC. Unix system is 5.8 Generic_117350-52 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V210

Many Thanks

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Perhaps you should show this to your supervisor:

http://support.sas.com/techsup/support.html#non-current

Your version of SAS (9.1.3) is now on the lowest level of support - C. If you are running business critical processes with this level of support I would be worried.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Running business critical processes on out-of-date software is gross neglicence and can lead to liability suits and even end up being a crime in lots of jurisdictions.

Set up a new test environment so you can run your processes in parallel and safely switch over once all issues are cleared.

Using xterm means you have a X windows server running on your PC. What were your problems when calling sas directly and using it in the typical multiwindows (program - log - output - explorer) GUI setup?

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

SAS 9.1.3 is +10 years old (=totally outdated in the IT world). The SAS licensing model is not bound to the SAS version and you're already licensed to use the most current version (SAS 9.4).

SAS 9.1.3 is on support level C (the lowest level). SAS would certainly be very happy for any customer to upgrade (and the huge majority are already on a higher level than SAS 9.1.3).

SAS is highly backward compatible so upgrading shouldn't cause any major problems with existing SAS code. Simple SAS code will just continue to work without any changes - even if it's 20 year old code.

The longer you wait with upgrading the harder it gets (especially when it comes to metadata and mid-tier stuff).

The way you're currently using SAS (command line mode) is something people might have felt o.k. with 30 years ago (=IT Middle Age).

CheerfulChu
Obsidian | Level 7

Dear all,

We will upgrade to a higher version soon. Hopefully, we can skip (command line mode) one day.

Thanks for all your advices

Leo

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 6 in conversation