BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
Hello, I'm trying to create a date stamp in SAS from an inputted variable, but I'm having a problem when truncating year from 4 digits to 2 digits. SAS is dropping the leading zero.

For example;

month = 01
day = 15
year = 2009

Trying to create the date stamp it currently appears as 1159 instead of 011509 (which is what is needed).

If I need to supply more information, please let me know. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Suggest you share the code that generates the SAS variable - the reason is because you have not identified what output format you are using, nor whether you are already converting a SAS "numeric type" DATE variable to character, by using a PUT function.

Suggest also having a look at the PROC FORMAT documentation and particularly the use of a "custom date format" with PICTURE.

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.

SAS Procedures Guide, PICTURE Statement
http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/proc/61895/HTML/default/a002473467.htm
DanielSantos
Barite | Level 11
You are probably converting numerics to alphas without specifying a leading zero format.
[pre]
data _null_;

DT='15JAN2009'd;

* explicit conversion, no leading zero format;
M=put(month(DT),2.);
D=put(day(DT),2.);
Y=put(mod(year(DT),100),2.);
X=cats(M,D,Y);
put _all_; * wrong;

* implicit conversion, no format at all;
M=month(DT);
D=day(DT);
Y=mod(year(DT),100);
X=cats(M,D,Y);
put _all_; * wrong;

* explicit conversion, with leading zero format;
M=put(month(DT),z2.);
D=put(day(DT),z2.);
Y=put(mod(year(DT),100),z2.);
X=cats(M,D,Y);
put _all_; * right!;

run;
[/pre]
But, that's only an assumption.

Help us to help you. As said above, you should always share you're code.

Cheers from Portugal.

Daniel Santos @ www.cgd.pt
data_null__
Jade | Level 19
"always" convert date data to SAS/Date. Then you can display with any format. The one you want is built in.
[pre]
359 data _null_;
361 month = 01;
362 day = 15;
363 year = 2009;
365 date = mdy(month,day,year);
367 put 'STAMP: ' date mmddyyN6.;
368 run;

STAMP: 011509
[/pre] Message was edited by: data _null_;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation