BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
David_S
Fluorite | Level 6

**Fictional Content used**

Hello,

I'm trying to read in a staggered raw data file with various column widths but you see that I cannot successfully use a pointer

(i.e. @19 or +2) since the Employee_Name variable isn't a fixed column.  How do I best achieve results such that they appear as expected?

RAW DATA

(Level1) Chief Executive Officer  (Anthony Miller )                              $433,800

(Level2) Chief Sales Officer  (Harry Highpoint )                         $243,190

(Level2) Chief Financial Officer  (Max Crown )                           $268,455

EXPECTED

Level             Job_Title                              Employee_Name               Salary

1                    Chief Executive Officer       Anthony Miller                    $433,800

2                    Chief Sales Officer             Harry Highpoint                  $243,190

2                    Chief Financial Officer        Max Crown                         $268,455

My code is as follows:

Work.Unicorn;

infile "rawin.dat" missover truncover;

length Level $ 8.;

input Level @;

if Level="(Level1)" then

input @10 Job_Title $25. @35 Employee_Name $18. @108 Salary dollar8.;

else if Level="(Level2)" then

input Job_Title $ +2;

run;

Thank you for any assistance,

David

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

Then please mark the answer which is closest to what you wanted as "correct" so that this question gets "ticked off" as answered.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

You will need to get the informats right - but else below code should give you the idea.

data want;

infile datalines truncover dlm='()' dsd;

input dummy :$1 (Level Job_Title Employee_Name Salary) (:$20.);

datalines;

(Level1) Chief Executive Officer  (Anthony Miller )                              $433,800

(Level2) Chief Sales Officer  (Harry Highpoint )                         $243,190

(Level2) Chief Financial Officer  (Max Crown )                           $268,455

run;

Reeza
Super User

I would read the first portion as a single text field and then parse it using the scan function with the () as delimiters.

David_S
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you all.

I overlooked using () as delimeters.  Thanks for the info.

David

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

Then please mark the answer which is closest to what you wanted as "correct" so that this question gets "ticked off" as answered.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 3 in conversation