BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Hima
Obsidian | Level 7

I need help in coding the below scenario. I have to select only 30% of col1 population when col1 = (0,1,2)  and 70% of population when col1 = (3,4,5,6,7)

DATA TEMP1;

SET TEMP;

IF (col1 in (0,1,2) and ranuni(111) < 0.7 )

and (col1 in (3,4,5,6,7) and ranuni(111) < 0.3)

then seg = 'test';

run;

I think I am missing something and I am not getting the results that I am looking for. If some one can help me, it would be awesome.

3 REPLIES 3
Astounding
PROC Star

Hima,

Not sure if it's a typo or you just need a set of fresh eyes to look at this ...

The second AND should be OR.

Also note, random number streams can be tricky.  I forget all the rules, but it is quite possible that the two ranuni(111) are generating different numbers.  If you want to make sure you are comparing to the same random number, generate it first:

newvar = ranuni(111);

Then refer to newvar in the IF statement.

Finally, it looks like you have used < when you meant to use >.

Good luck.

Astounding
PROC Star

Here's a small test program I wrote to illustrate the issue with random numbers:

data test;

do i=1 to 1000;

if ranuni(111) < 0.5 or ranuni(111) >= 0.5 then output;

end;

run;

You won't get 1000 records in the output data set, because the two ranuni functions generate different streams of numbers.

PGStats
Opal | Level 21

You could avoid the intricacies of random number generation by using the sample selection proc :

/* Specify the sampling rates for each strata */

data rates;
input col1 _rate_ @@;
datalines;
0 .3  1 .3  2 .3  3 .7  4 .7  5 .7  6 .7  7 .7
;

/* Sort the data by strata */

proc sort data=temp; by col1; run;

/* Extract the sample (variable Selected=1 for selected observations).

Remove option outall to retain only selected observations. */

proc surveyselect data=temp rate=rates method=srs out=temp1 outall;
strata col1;
run;

PG

PG

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 3 in conversation