BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Yeezus_
Calcite | Level 5
Hi everyone,

I have a dataset with over 6000 observations. These observations are all rate ie 0.95, 0.83, 0.99 ext. I need to quartile the observations and then find the average rate in each quartile. Essentially I need the average rate in Q1, Q2, Q3, Q4. I tried various procedures and I couldn't do what I wanted. I thought I would ask this community!

Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User

How do you know which ones go to which group? At that rate how is it different than random? You definitely can't call it quartiles...

EDIT: My mistake, it won't matter since thats the group you're summarizing. But don't call it quartiles, that would be misleading.

proc sort data=sashelp.cars out=cars;
by mpg_highway;
run;

data check; 
set cars nobs=num;

n_group=floor(_n_/(num/4));
if n_group=4 then n_group=3; *reassign last obs;
run;

proc means data=check;
class n_group;
var mpg_highway;
run;

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

Use PROC RANK to form the quartiles, as shown in the article "Grouping observations based on quantiles."

Then use the CLASS statement in  PROC MEANS to compute the statistics for each quantile, as shown in this example:

%let NumGroups = 4;
proc rank data=Sashelp.cars out=Want groups=&NumGroups ties=high;
  var MSRP;     /* variable on which to group */
  ranks Group;  /* name of variable to contain groups 0,1,...,k-1 */
run;

proc format;                  /* display 0-3 as Q1-Q3 */
   value Quartile 0="Q1" 1="Q2" 2="Q3" 3="Q4";
run;

proc means data=Want N MEAN STD;
var MSRP;
class Group;
format group Quartile.;
run;

Yeezus_
Calcite | Level 5
Hey! Thanks for the quick reply. I originally used proc rank and and split the observations into 4 groups. The problem I run into is that there are so many 100% observations that it groups them all together in Q1. For example. If I have 6000 observations, approx 40 percent of them will fall into the first group because they are all 100% rates. That leaves much less observations in Q2.

What I need is to evenly split the observations into equal groups and then quartile it. Basically some of the 100% rates will then fall into Q2, creating equal groups.
Reeza
Super User

How do you know which ones go to which group? At that rate how is it different than random? You definitely can't call it quartiles...

EDIT: My mistake, it won't matter since thats the group you're summarizing. But don't call it quartiles, that would be misleading.

proc sort data=sashelp.cars out=cars;
by mpg_highway;
run;

data check; 
set cars nobs=num;

run;

proc means data=check;
class n_group;
var mpg_highway;
run;

pmpradhan
Quartz | Level 8

Your code is helpful. why are you reassigning the last observation?

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

Yes, unfortunately this problem can occur.  See the article "Binning data by quantiles? Beware of rounded data." The article says that is there are N observations and k groups then "if there are more than N/k repeated values, the repeated value can occupy more than one quantile value. In fact, this will always happen if a particular value is repeated more than 2N/k times."

The article concludes with this warning: "Beware of using quantiles to bin rounded data into groups. Although the technique works great when almost all of the data values are distinct, you can run into problems if you ask for many bins and your data contain many repeated values."

PGStats
Opal | Level 21

If you want your ties to be randomly split between quartiles, use small random tie breakers:

data cars;
set sashelp.cars;
/* Add random noise smaller than data precision */
qtr_mpg_highway = mpg_highway + 0.00001*rand("uniform");
run;

proc rank data=cars out=check groups=4;
var qtr_mpg_highway; 
run;

proc means data=check;
class qtr_mpg_highway;
var mpg_highway;
run;
PG
Yeezus_
Calcite | Level 5
Hey, I am going go try this now. Just to clarify, what does the _n_ refer to below?

run;
Reeza
Super User

_n_ is a pseudo row number, that I'm using as a row number. It's an automatic variable.

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/lrcon/69852/HTML/default/viewer.htm#p0e0mk25gs9binn1s9ji...

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 6 in conversation