BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
stewartacraig
Calcite | Level 5

I need to run the same program over many datasets which are similar but do not always use exactly the same variable names to collect the same data.

e.g. Age might be collected in all datasets but has a range of variable names: AGE, AGE1, AGE_NUM, CALCAG, AGNUM

Is there a program I can run to assist me in identifying variables collecting the same data and applying a generic variable name?

Interestingly, the label names are relatively consistent so maybe I can use these...?

Thanks,

Stew

PS. Clearly, I am a SAS novice!

6 REPLIES 6
art297
Opal | Level 21

One possibility would depend on the names of the other variables in your various datasets.  In your example, all of the age-like variables contained the string "AG".  If that is the case, and none of your other variables contain the string "AG" then you could write a small proc sql call that created a rename statement in a macro variable from the dictionary.columns view.

Let us know if the above scenario might be a solution and, if it is, then I or someone can show you how you could write such a routine.

stewartacraig
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks,

I think I can definitely use something like this to rename some/most of the variables (as in the AGE example) and some guidance on the code would be very useful!

However, there are other variable names where there may not be a unique string. I guess for these, I'll just have to manually identify and rename the variables on a case-by-case basis...

Cheers,

Stew

art297
Opal | Level 21

Stew,

You could use something like:

data one;

input name $ theage;

cards;

John 25

;

data two;

input name $ myage;

cards;

Joe 25

;

data three;

input name $ myage;

cards;

Mary 32

;

%macro rename(filename);

%let renames=;

proc sql noprint;

select 'rename=('||trim(name)||'=age)'

into :renames

from dictionary.columns

where libname='WORK' and

memname=upcase("&filename.") and

index(upcase(name),'AG')

;

quit;

data new_&filename.;

set &filename. (&renames.);

run;

%mend rename;

%rename(one)

%rename(two)

%rename(three)

stewartacraig
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks! I will implement this today and see how many variables I can rename.

ballardw
Super User

Are the similar values in the same order in the datasets that you have examined? If so, there may be some hope of using one base dataset and renaming others based on order.

stewartacraig
Calcite | Level 5

Hi there. Unfortunately, the variable order is not always the same.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation