BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
JOLSAS
Quartz | Level 8

Hi all,

I have a simple mission yet with a complication I have not found a way to solve. I want to do a two-sample t-test by a continuous variable.

Say I have variables con1 and con2, both are continuous. I want to see if in group 1 (con1>=median of con1 across whole sample) vs. in group 2 (con1<median of con1 across whole  sample), values of con2 are different. Below is what I have right now:

proc univariate data=have; var con1; run; /* manually get con1 median, say the median is 1.523*/
data a1; set have;

if con1>= 1.523 then dummy=1; if con1< 1.523 then dummy=0; if con1=. then dummy=.;

run;
proc ttest data=a1; class dummy; var con2; run;

Essentially I manually get the median of con1, and make a categorical variable based on the median ("dummy" in the above example) . The problem with this is: due to rounding, though the median really is 1.522823104, SAS output would show median of 1.523. And this makes the sample sizes of group1 and group2 vastly different. I want to make sure that group1 and group2 have the same size (or different by 1 if whole sample size is an odd number). Is there an easy way of doing this?

I appreciate any help!

JOL

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

You can have Univariate output percentiles using the OUTPUT statment. The values will have more precision than the output really designed for people to look at which will likely be rounded as you say.

But to create groups Proc Rank may be much easier

proc rank data=have groups=2;
   var con1;
   ranks dummy;
run;

The dummy will have 0 for the values below the median and 1 for above. Note no need for univariate. You can use Proc rank to generate different numbers of groups: 4 would be quartiles, 10 deciles, 100 percentiles.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ballardw
Super User

You can have Univariate output percentiles using the OUTPUT statment. The values will have more precision than the output really designed for people to look at which will likely be rounded as you say.

But to create groups Proc Rank may be much easier

proc rank data=have groups=2;
   var con1;
   ranks dummy;
run;

The dummy will have 0 for the values below the median and 1 for above. Note no need for univariate. You can use Proc rank to generate different numbers of groups: 4 would be quartiles, 10 deciles, 100 percentiles.

JOLSAS
Quartz | Level 8

Hi ballardw,

Thanks for the response! I did what you suggested, and it worked much better (though still not what I had hoped for, but I suppose I can settle with the much smaller sample size difference).

For future reference, below is what I had in the end:

proc rank data=have groups=2 out=want;
   var con1;
   ranks dummy;
run;

Thanks for the help! 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation