BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
rakeshvvv
Quartz | Level 8

I have a dataset with 5 variables A, B, C, D and E.  A is the primary key ,  B and C are numeric variables, D and E are character variables.

I would like to transpose with A as the by variable in such  a way that only non-missing numeric and character variable should be transposed for B,C,D,E.

I am using below code and I am getting period (.) for missing numeric variable in the transposed column.

PROC TRANSPOSE DATA=X OUT=Y

BY A;

VAR B C D E;

Run;

3 REPLIES 3
ballardw
Super User

Post some example input data and what you want the output to look like.

rakeshvvv
Quartz | Level 8

I am posting an example.... my output should look like z dataset instead of y...only non missing should be transposed.....

data x ;

set sashelp.class;

IF _N_ LT 5;

where sex='M';

IF AGE=14 THEN DO;

SEX="";

AGE=.;END;

run;

PROC TRANSPOSE DATA=X OUT=Y;

BY NAME;

VAR AGE SEX HEIGHT WEIGHT;

RUN;

DATA Z;

SET Y;

IF MISSING(COL1) OR COL1='           .' THEN DELETE;

RUN;

data_null__
Jade | Level 19

When both character(D,E)  and numeric (B,C) variables are transposed the numeric variables are converted to character using the format associated with the variable.  Since standard missing is usually displayed as . you get . in the new character value.  Probably . with leading spaces.

If you want the missing numeric variables to have blank values after transposing use

OPTIONS MISSING=' ';

and then add this.

OUT=Y(where=(not missing(col1)))

Message was edited by: data _null_

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation