BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
FilipAxelsson
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello,

Is it possible to create a subtotal when using proc tabulate and having more than two variables.  I want the result showed in the picture below. 

My code that im working with is the following:

PROC TABULATE DATA=my_df;
  CLASS  Variable1 Variable2 Variable3;
  VAR Response_variable;
  TABLE  (Variable1 all) * ( Variable2 * Variable3),  Response_variable*(SUM=' ');
RUN;

However that code doesn't provide the result i want, once again i want it on the format that can be seen in the picture below.

FilipAxelsson_0-1696945630945.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

@FilipAxelsson wrote:

When im using that code i get the following result. Which doesnt calculate a subtotal, the only column that has a subtotal is C. Is there another way to create a crosstab with subtotals in the way i want it? (Picture in the first post) 

FilipAxelsson_0-1697005433560.png

The code was to show where the ALL goes with a label that shows in the output and how the nesting of Tabulate works.

If you nest a variable to the right of an ALL you get those subgroups, you don't get to "skip" them. That is not a tabulate feature.

What you want is likely not going to come from Tabulate.

Consider this Proc Report though (and notice that I use a SAS data set that you have so can actually test code SASHELP.CARS is one of the sets SAS supplies for training in your install).

proc report data=sashelp.cars spanrows;
   where make in ('Acura' 'Audi' 'BMW');
   columns make type cylinders mpg_city;
   define make /group;
   define type/group ;
   define cylinders/group;
   define mpg_city/ mean;
   break after make/summarize;
run;

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
FilipAxelsson
Obsidian | Level 7

I want to clearify that Variable1 has more than 1 value 

FilipAxelsson_0-1696945576617.png

ballardw
Super User

The general rule for "All" with subgroups is to use it with the lower level. See the result  of running the code below.

PROC TABULATE DATA=my_df;
  CLASS  Variable1 Variable2 Variable3;
  VAR Response_variable;
  TABLE  (Variable1 all='ALL records') * ( Variable2 All='All Var1') * (Variable3 all='All Var2'),  Response_variable*(SUM=' ');
RUN;

FilipAxelsson
Obsidian | Level 7

When im using that code i get the following result. Which doesnt calculate a subtotal, the only column that has a subtotal is C. Is there another way to create a crosstab with subtotals in the way i want it? (Picture in the first post) 

ballardw
Super User

@FilipAxelsson wrote:

The code was to show where the ALL goes with a label that shows in the output and how the nesting of Tabulate works.

If you nest a variable to the right of an ALL you get those subgroups, you don't get to "skip" them. That is not a tabulate feature.

What you want is likely not going to come from Tabulate.

Consider this Proc Report though (and notice that I use a SAS data set that you have so can actually test code SASHELP.CARS is one of the sets SAS supplies for training in your install).

proc report data=sashelp.cars spanrows;
   where make in ('Acura' 'Audi' 'BMW');
   columns make type cylinders mpg_city;
   define make /group;
   define type/group ;
   define cylinders/group;
   define mpg_city/ mean;
   break after make/summarize;
run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation