BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
slolay
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi All

Just started to use Proc SQL.

Is it possible to get more informative messages in the log when running proc SQL code.  It only seems to give the number of obs in the final output dataset but I would also like to see values for the input tables esp. when using joins and where clauses when reading the datasets in....still a DATA STEP man!

Regards
Steve

7 REPLIES 7
SASKiwi
PROC Star

There is the undocumented _METHOD option on the PROC SQL statement but that only describes the joins used not the number of input rows. I suspect it may not be possible....

Ksharp
Super User

You should check the documentation , there is lots of option to produce some more information at log.

e.g  option   feedback   can let you know what SQL code generated by SAS.

Ksharp

slolay
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi

Thanks for the replies.

Had a look at the SAS documetation: http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/sqlproc/62086/HTML/default/viewer.htm#a001360938.htm

but nothing there about getting information about how many input records were read in. I hope SASkiwi is not right and it is not possible..it would be useful to have this information in the log.

Regards

Steve

Ksharp
Super User

Hi.

Sorry. I also do not know there is an option can report such information.

Maybe you can talk with Technical Support.

Ksharp

Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

I suspect that there is not such an option.  PROC SQL does not necessarily even read all the rows, nor would the underlying data base engine.  You could use the DESCRIBE statement to get some information about the underlying tables.

Doc Muhlbaier

Duke

slolay
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks for all your help guys

I think SAS users could really benefit from log info regarding how many obs where read in for each input table as often where clauses are attached to them when reading in them in

Have a good day

Steve

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

If you do a Create View in SQL, and have a data step or other PROC reading that view, it will display no of input rows in the log.

Not very neat...

/Linus

Data never sleeps

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation