BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
riya275
Obsidian | Level 7

I am trying to create a report using proc report where in I have grouped by a variable named probability and inside the groupped variable is another variable Account_name which is a character variable. I want to the frequency of this variable for each group of probability 

eg-

probability Accounts

1                 3

0.9              4

0.8             6

and so on, but i am not able to do that because it displays all the account_Names inside each probability rather than the freuency/count of the column

what i am getting is

probability  accounts

1                LG

max

LF

0.9            GH

PL

and so on

following is the code I used-

proc report data= c1.o;
columns probability____  Account_Name Total_Media_Value Forecasted_Budget;
define probability____ / group order descending 'Probability';
define Account_Name/ n 'Accounts';
define Total_Media_Value /sum 'Total_Budget';
define Forecasted_Budget/ computed 'Forecasted Budget';
compute Forecasted_Budget;
Forecasted_Budget= (Total_Media_Value.sum)*(probability____);
endcomp;

run;

in the define Account_Name line i have used display and analysis as well but no use 

i get the error

ERROR: Account_Name is an ANALYSIS variable but not numeric.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

PROC SUMMARY will give you frequencies in a dataset, it can sum the Total_Media_Value, and so on. If you need to compute percentages from those frequencies this is also done easily in a SAS data step. I find it much easier to do manipulations in a SAS data step than getting the math correct in PROC REPORT.

--
Paige Miller

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Do a proc freq or means before getting to the proc report.  Report is a reporting procedure, not a freq/means procedure (even though it can do some basic stuff).  

riya275
Obsidian | Level 7

Is the issue that the column is of character format?Because for numerical columns it can calculate a lot of statistics even percentiles.And how do i combine the freq table with the report table? 

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@RW9 wrote:

Do a proc freq or means before getting to the proc report.  Report is a reporting procedure, not a freq/means procedure (even though it can do some basic stuff).  

I agree with this. Getting the data computed properly before you run PROC REPORT will make your life sooooooo much simpler.

--
Paige Miller
riya275
Obsidian | Level 7

issue is proc freq wont work if done before. How do you suggest that would solve the problem?

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

PROC SUMMARY will give you frequencies in a dataset, it can sum the Total_Media_Value, and so on. If you need to compute percentages from those frequencies this is also done easily in a SAS data step. I find it much easier to do manipulations in a SAS data step than getting the math correct in PROC REPORT.

--
Paige Miller
Reeza
Super User

PROC TABULATE may be what you're looking for. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation