BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
newguy1580
Calcite | Level 5

The histogram is highly left-skewed, basically the same as the one after running proc univariate for hisugbev. Do you think then what I suggested would still be a reasonable idea?

PGStats
Opal | Level 21

I would simply make sure I have a fair share of uncensored events in each category.

Good luck!

PG

PG
newguy1580
Calcite | Level 5

Does anyone know by any chance how to create quantiles with a certain portion of data? I told my professor that creating tertiles would be one way to work with the data I have for hisugbev but another way she suggested was have all the people who have 0 for this variable go in one group and then with the remaining people put them into tertiles. I have never done this before. Thanks!

Reeza
Super User

Why categorize them anyways, why not use the continuous variable?

Making some very broad assumptions here:

hisugbev is probably high sugar beverage consumption, I'll assume weekly.

I would categorize as

0 - no consumption

<7 - less than 1 a day

<14 -less than 2 a day

>=14 2 or more a day

This gives you intuitive data. 

newguy1580
Calcite | Level 5

The thing about using the continuous form is that you are assuming linearity which may or may not be true in the actual dataset. I modeled hisugbev in tertiles and I see that the difference in parameter estimates shows there is some non-linearity here which you wouldn't see if you modeled hisugbev as a continuous variable. I actually didn't try the categorization you suggested but I will give that a try! You are correct hisugbev is high sugared beverage consumption (servings/week)

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

What is the cross tab of censor and your new 4 level ranking?

Reeza
Super User

Did you want to include referential coding?

You may also want to point explicitly to data=temp4

proc phreg data=temp4;

class hisugbev4 (ref='0')/param=REF;

model tpyrs*c5_1(0)= age hisugbev4/rl ties=efron;

run;

what happens when you run a proc freq, none of the cells are 0?

proc freq data =temp4;

table hisugbev4*c5_1;

run;

newguy1580
Calcite | Level 5

I tried putting in data=temp4 next to the proc phreg statement and ran the model again but nothing different..i get the same output.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation