BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
I have been importing data from a MySQL database, cleaning it up, formatting, etc. for a weekly update into a Master.SASDataset. However, when I want to review the data prior to the update by using a Proc Print statement, I receive one page of output and the program hangs. I cannot review the entire output.

Below is copy of the SAS log, including the code just prior to the Proc Print statement.

3413 Proc Sort data=SQLTimeSched;
3414 by ID ;
3415 Run;

NOTE: There were 214 observations read from the data set WORK.SQLTIMESCHED.
NOTE: The data set WORK.SQLTIMESCHED has 214 observations and 11 variables.
NOTE: PROCEDURE SORT used (Total process time):
real time 0.01 seconds
cpu time 0.00 seconds

3416 Proc Print data=SQLTimeSched n;
3417 var ID Testdate Tester Type Appoint HR LID;
3419 run;

ERROR: User asked for termination
NOTE: The SAS System stopped processing this step because of errors.
NOTE: There were 73 observations read from the data set WORK.SQLTIMESCHED.
NOTE: PROCEDURE PRINT used (Total process time):
real time 6.59 seconds
cpu time 0.20 seconds

You can see I finally halt the Proc Print at the Error statement, but that was after three minutes of waiting for an output of 214 obs and 11 variables.

Any ideas? I am sure it is something simple. I just don't know what I am looking for.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Scot
3 REPLIES 3
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
You will need to share more about the SAS code executing before what you've provided - there could be some open ODS destination, possibly. Also, set OBS=0 upfront in your code to determine if the behavior changes. Also, SAS version and OS environment, also with SAS processing (local install, remote server) conditions would be most helpful.

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.
deleted_user
Not applicable
sbb, thanks for your time.

No ODS.

SAS 9.1.3 SP4 XP processing local

however, the data is pulled from Linux server.

when I add the obs=5 option the procedure runs fine.
ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20
If you add obs=213, all works fine and obs=215 makes the procedure hang? If so, proc print encounters some data it dislikes.
In that case:
- look at the data (try using the var statement in proc print to seek the bad variable, or use table viewer, or a data step and the rank function to see actual binary values)
- clean the data up so you can keep working
- inform tech support, I am sure they'd be keen to know and make sas more robust

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation