BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
EStrom1
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi,

Based upon a variety of helpful postings, I am successfully using SAS and PROC HTTP to make REST API calls to Box.com.  In the "working" column are getting OAUTH tokens, finding file and folder IDs, etc. 

In the "close but not quite working" column is using Box.com's File upload APIs (see here).  The file upload API uses a multi-part form to upload the file data.  Based in part on things I read here, I developed code that partially works.  In the code below, I can upload a text file to Box and it works fine. When I try to use this same code to upload a binary file (say, an *.egp file), the upload does not work correctly and what gets created is a corrupted file.  

You can see in the code where the content-type is defined in the sub-form.  Originally, I used "text/plain" and then switched to "application/octet-stream" so that it would expect binary data for the sub-form (note, when I use cURL to successfully upload the file, "octet-stream" is what it uses for the content-type).  

Although I don't get an errors (SAS or Box.com), the file is still not correct.  Looking inside the REQUEST file that gets created, the file data is largely absent and I think the issue may have to do with the infile statement not properly reading binary data.  I tried to modify the inflie statement to us recfm=N, but that results in errors from SAS since it appears the put statements are incompatible with binary file processing.

So I'm stuck.  Any ideas?

-Eric

*---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------;
  *>> Create file request  ***************************************************************;
  *---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------;
  data _null_;
    infile copyfile end=eof;
    file request;

if _n_ = 1 then do;
        put "--&boundary"; 
        put 'Content-Disposition: form-data; name="attributes"';
        put ;
        put '{"name":"' "&updestfile" '", "parent":{"id":"' "&boxfolderID" '"}}';
        put "--&boundary"; 
        put 'Content-Disposition: form-data; name="file"; filename="' "&updestfile" '"';

put "Content-Type: text/plain";
/*        put "Content-Type: application/octet-stream";*/
        put ;
      end;

input;
    put _infile_;

if eof then
     do;
       put "--&boundary--"; 
     end;
  run;

*>> Determine size of request and store in macro variable  *****************************;
  data _null_;
    length bytes $1024;
    fid = fopen("request");
    rc = fread(fid);
    bytes = finfo(fid, 'File Size (bytes)');
    call symput("FileSize",trim(bytes));
    rc = fclose(fid);
    put bytes;
  run;

*>> Submit the Upload request to Box  **************************************************;
  proc http
      url="https://upload.box.com/api/2.0/files/content"
        method    = "POST"
        out       = resp
        headerout = resphdrs
        in        = request
        ct        = "multipart/form-data; boundary=&boundary"
    ;
    headers
      "Authorization"  = "Bearer &UPaccesstoken"
      "Content-Length" = "&filesize"
    ;

run;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JosephHenry
SAS Employee

When working with Binary files you kind of need to "force" the datastep to read and write a byte at a time.

the way you do this is with this little trick:

infile copyfile recfm=1 lrecl=1;
file request recfm=1 lrecl=1;

But since you need to mix text and binary, it would probably be best to run multiple datasteps using mod

This might work for you

data _null_;
    file request termstr=CRLF;
    if _n_ = 1 then do;
        put "--&boundary"; 
        put ;
        put "--&boundary"; 
        put 'Content-Disposition: form-data; name="file"; filename="' "&updestfile" '"';
        put "Content-Type: application/octet-stream";

put ;
      end;
run;

data _null_;
    file request mod recfm=f lrecl=1;
    infile copyfile  recfm=f lrecl=1;

input;
    put _infile_;
run;

data _null_;
    file request mod termstr=CRLF;
    put "--&boundary--"; 
run;

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22
EStrom1
Fluorite | Level 6

UPDATE:

Much closer to a fix, but not quite there.  

I added an IGNOREDOSEOF option to the infile statement, and it now (almost) faithfully reads all the binary characters from the source file and transfers them to the PROC HTTP request file.  The file gets created in Box.com, however, the file is still corrupt.  Downloading the file from Box and comparing it (hex) to the original revealed the difference. 

Below is a section of screenshot that shows an example.  The left side of the screen is the source file, the right side is the file that gets created in Box.  The red arrow points to where there is a null character Hex comparisonHex comparison

in the source.  The green arrow on the right (destination file) shows where this gets converted to a carriage return (0D hex).  This happens throughout the file. As far as I can tell, this is the only difference between the two files.

Is there an option in SAS that controls this behavior?  I see there is a TERMSTR option, but that does not seem to control this specific behavior.

-Eric

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Tagging @JosephHenry - might be able to help.

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
JosephHenry
SAS Employee

When working with Binary files you kind of need to "force" the datastep to read and write a byte at a time.

the way you do this is with this little trick:

infile copyfile recfm=1 lrecl=1;
file request recfm=1 lrecl=1;

But since you need to mix text and binary, it would probably be best to run multiple datasteps using mod

This might work for you

data _null_;
    file request termstr=CRLF;
    if _n_ = 1 then do;
        put "--&boundary"; 
        put ;
        put "--&boundary"; 
        put "Content-Type: application/octet-stream";

put ;
      end;
run;

data _null_;
    file request mod recfm=f lrecl=1;
    infile copyfile  recfm=f lrecl=1;

input;
    put _infile_;
run;

data _null_;
    file request mod termstr=CRLF;
    put "--&boundary--"; 
run;

EStrom1
Fluorite | Level 6

Awesome.  This worked.

I inserted a hard return ("put ;"  ) immediately before the final boundary put statement in the last data step.  

Thanks so much for your help.

JosephHenry
SAS Employee
Glad I could help.

I am working on getting multipart directly integrated into proc http, so hopefully in the future it will be easier.
gvm
Calcite | Level 5 gvm
Calcite | Level 5

I'm running into this same problem, but what you're proposing doesn't work.  I get unprocessible entity errors...

Any ideas?

%let boundary=%sysfunc(uuidgen());

filename in '/folders/myfolders/test.txt';

data _null_;

file in termstr=CRLF 
    	recfm=f lrecl=1 
    	;

infile "&path./&filename." end=eof recfm=f lrecl=1 termstr=CRLF; if _n_ = 1 then do; put "--&boundary."; put 'Content-Disposition: form-data; name="file"; filename="data.xlsx"'; put 'Content-Type: application/octet-stream'; put ; end; input; put _infile_; if eof then do; put ; put "--&boundary.--"; end; run; proc http method="post"
url = "&url." in = in ct="multipart/form-data; boundary=&boundary." out = out headerout = hdrout headerin= hdrin HEADEROUT_OVERWRITE; ; run;
JosephHenry
SAS Employee

What does your proc HTTP code look like?

gvm
Calcite | Level 5 gvm
Calcite | Level 5

I've just updated the original post to include the code.

gvm
Calcite | Level 5 gvm
Calcite | Level 5

If it's helpful, the response I'm getting back is:

HTTP/1.1 422 UNPROCESSABLE ENTITY
Server: openresty
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2018 20:23:10 GMT
Content-Type: application/json
Content-Length: 51
Connection: keep-alive
X-Frame-Options: SAMEORIGIN

and

{"message": "The request did not contain any file"}

Incidentally, I'm certain that the excel file is valid.

JosephHenry
SAS Employee

you are having the same problem as the OP. 

Try this:

data _null_;
    file in termstr=CRLF;
	if _n_ = 1 then do;
		put "--&boundary.";
		put 'Content-Disposition: form-data; name="file"; filename="data.xlsx"';
		put 'Content-Type: application/octet-stream';
		put ;
     end;
run;

data _null_;
    file in mod recfm=f lrecl=1;
    infile "&path./&filename." recfm=f lrecl=1;

input;
    put _infile_;
run;

data _null_;
    file in mod termstr=CRLF;
    put "--&boundary--"; 
run;

gvm
Calcite | Level 5 gvm
Calcite | Level 5

Yep... I already tried that.  Same result:

HTTP/1.1 422 UNPROCESSABLE ENTITY
Server: openresty
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2018 22:34:03 GMT
Content-Type: application/json
Content-Length: 51
Connection: keep-alive
X-Frame-Options: SAMEORIGIN
Set-Cookie: SERVERID=green; path=/

and

{"message": "The request did not contain any file"}

gvm
Calcite | Level 5 gvm
Calcite | Level 5

I checked the file with was received by the server.  It's definitely corrupted.  

JosephHenry
SAS Employee
What version of SAS are you running?

My tests using the code that I posted all produces the correct multiform output.

What are the additional headers you are sending?
gvm
Calcite | Level 5 gvm
Calcite | Level 5

I'm using the latest academic version.  The only header that I'm sending is my API token.  It is a text file with the following content:

Authentication: Token XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 5 in conversation