BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
bgs
Obsidian | Level 7 bgs
Obsidian | Level 7

Besides providing frequency, percentage , cumulative frequency and cumulative percentage - what is the practical application or where is proc freq used.

Please do feel free to provide examples of its usage.

7 REPLIES 7
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Sorry not sure what the question is (was really tempted to put a bleep in there)?  Look at the SAS documentation for what a procedure is used for, what its parameters and outputs are etc.  Each procedure is designed with a purpose, even if it may seem very similar to means/summary etc.

bgs
Obsidian | Level 7 bgs
Obsidian | Level 7
What I meant was what are the uses of proc freq on a practical level ?
What use is proc freq to a user?
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Its very useful if you want to get frequency counts?

ballardw
Super User

In addition is often use proc freq to:

Check skip patterns of responses in survey data or any data entry system. Example: Responses to question 10 should match numbers or response categories 3 and 4 to Question 6. Table q10*Q6; will show me right away if there is a data issue.

Proc freq is almost always the first tool I look to when doing any kind of data cleaning or just getting to know new data set.

It may provide voluminous data if there are lots of continuous variables but the syntax simplicity can't be beat:

Proc freq data=mydata; run;

I know I'm going to get lots, but I get to see values, labels if assigned, how many missing values for each variable (VERY helpful if there shouldn't be any for one or more variables). And sometimes just plain data entry stupidity ( or a system induced behavior that assigned many supposedly poor clients with monthly incomes of 83333).

Verify that I have all values of a variable considered when designing a custom format.

samnan
Quartz | Level 8

PROC FREQ is also useful to do Univariate Analysis  to identify significant categorical variables

data_null__
Jade | Level 19
Your question can be answer most effectively by reading the bleeping documentation where there are numerous examples of its usage .

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 like
  • 6 in conversation