BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
alexgouv
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi all,

I am trying to work on an ensemble model, one of which being an auto regressive model. I have a grouping variable(ID) and I am not sure what the difference is between the Class and By statements for this proc. I have only been able to find information on the difference in other procs(a lot of proc means).

If someone could explain how the class statement would effect my output that would be great!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

The class statement has the same role in all regression procs.

A CLASS statement declares a categorical variable for use in your model. Parameters will be fitted for each level of the class variable.

A BY statement fits as many models as there are by-levels. It is a shortcut to submitting the proc for every level of the by-variable.

by sex;

model weight = height;

fits two models with separate slopes and interceps.

class sex;

model weight = sex height;

fits a single model with two interceps and a single slope.

hth

PG

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

The class statement has the same role in all regression procs.

A CLASS statement declares a categorical variable for use in your model. Parameters will be fitted for each level of the class variable.

A BY statement fits as many models as there are by-levels. It is a shortcut to submitting the proc for every level of the by-variable.

by sex;

model weight = height;

fits two models with separate slopes and interceps.

class sex;

model weight = sex height;

fits a single model with two interceps and a single slope.

hth

PG

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation