BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
jaiswaldhruv
Calcite | Level 5

I have created a folder under shared data (path: SAS folder tab of SMC----->SAS Folders----->Shared Data----->Folder STP{this folder i have created}).i went to EG , Create a new SAS Stored Process, Select WorkSpace server for the exceution of STP and i want that STP to be stored in that folder i have created, but in manage folder tab i have to specify the physical location path.Please let me how to find the physical path of that folder that i have created.

Server version :9.3

Single Machine Server.

11 REPLIES 11
jakarman
Barite | Level 11

What is your OS? What are the folders there?   Creating a folder in SAS-metadata does not cerate any physical path on the OS.
With the latest releases of SAS it could be possible to store a lot of files in SAS-metadata in the same way as the were part of the OS.
Confusing when not understood.

---->-- ja karman --<-----
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

In order for a Stored Process to be executed by the Stored Process Server, the code has to be stored at a physical location that the STP server can "see" (take note of necessary access permissions for the user under which the STP server runs!). This is what is asked of you.

In the metadata folder you "only" store the STP definition that contains the path to the source code, among other things.

Ksharp
Super User

It should under HOME/username/  . I have forgotten.

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

@ksharp that is normally /home/<username>/..  is your personal location (mydocuments and setttings) not one meant as shared location.
A shared location for code on a OS is a separate design. the .../Lev-/<appserver>/..  is a convention for a appserver-context.
That is an other confusing context as appservers have other connected resources. A lot of dimensions to think in.
When you have an fully isolated physical locations it could be something like /apps/<unitseg>/<appseg>/<dtap>/src (and with src other code types)

Ksharp
Super User

@Jaap,

Sorry. I have seen these path once time. but I almost forgot them .

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

That's something I would not recommend. It is not guaranteed that sassrv (the user account that is used to start/run the STP server) has read permissions in a user's home directory.

Instead I have set up a dedicated repository where developers have rwx and sassrv r-x permissions.

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi:

In some of the newer versions of the BI platform, you can store the STP source code in the metadata repository instead of or in addition to a physical location. So, this "unhooks" the need to have a physical repository for the SP code and "unhooks" the need for the servers to have access to the physical location (because they can get the code from the metadata repository for execution). I am paranoid enough, that I always make a copy in a physical location, but you have to know what that location is before you do your save (and have write access to the location), if you're going to save the code externally to the metadata.

cynthia

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

@Kurt that is agreed in our posts, just 120 seconds difference in crossing. The thing I would add is you do not the default sassrv functional key for that. You could for every needed segregation with STP's (multiple appservers) use other own defined functional keys for that. This is adviced in the bisecag as next step when you understand the default. 

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

Cynthia it is technical possible to store in metadata starting with 9.3 SAS(R) 9.4 Stored Processes: Developer's Guide

PDF and word files can also be added to some fields .
A lot of user seeing the advantage of no need to go for IT for support. I can imagine this was an user request enhancement.

== Every advantage has also an other side: the disadvantage. ==

When storing files on the OS you can build all services that are known and done at that level as:
1- backup / restore  with all details on the file with retention periods

2- security settings (who is allowed to ...) with RBAC connection and the monitoring on the usage.
3- space and sizing of all storage.

The remarks on those:

1 SAS(R) 9.4 Intelligence Platform: System Administration Guide, Third Edition All of that must be designed build and tested as a new service.

I see a lot of different technical subjects needing to get attention. 
2 Also  this part must be designed and testes/validated. Not the most demanding one to solve as there is already a lot similar to do.  
3 Storing data in the metadata is a more nasty one. As the space (dasd) is not any more segregated for the users and the technical parts it is possible users will corrupt the metadata environment by storing too much content.

Always amazing with IT as people are offering something claiming to solve something but in reality causing more problems.

jaiswaldhruv
Calcite | Level 5

The idea to start this thread is i want to include my SAS Stored Process in InfoMap Studio for further work. i tried all my possible way to include that , but all goes into vain unless banged with Associating an existing SAS® Stored Process with an information map in SAS® Information Map Studio 4... .

Under Register the stored process provided in the above link  mentioned:

1. In SAS Management Console, click the Folders tab.
  2. Select SAS Folders ► Shared Data ► StoredProcesses. (Create the StoredProcesses folder if it does not already exist.)
  3. Right-click on the StoredProcesses folder and select New Stored Process to launch the New Stored Process wizard.
  4. The second wizard page is the most important. On this page, you provide the following information:
    1. For the SAS server, select the SAS Workspace Server on which to run the stored process. In version 9.2, typically, this value is SASApp - Logical Workspace Server. In version 9.3, select SASApp as the Application server and then select the Workspace server only option under Server type.Note: If you do not specify a workspace server, then the stored process will not be available to select in SAS Information Map Studio.
    2. For 9.3, accept the default Allow execution on selected application server only and Store source code on application server .
    3. For the Source code repository, select from the existing list, or click Manage to select the physical location ( here it is Folder STP in Shared DATA) where you stored the stored process
    4. For the Source file, enter the full name of the stored process.
    5. Do not select any Output type (9.2) or Result capabilities (9.3).

Problem is unable to find the physical path of Shared Data

Operating system is server 2008 R2.

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

Jaiswal, We are first going to that "a lot of dogs are called Max, but not every dog is called Max".

It is important at every step to know at what environment SAS-metadata or Windows-server (where your appservers are running) something is happening. SAS-folders  Windows-folders   SAS-explorer Windows-explorer all is confusing like Max.         

step 2

This is the SAS environment. Your SAS platform admin could have defined different namings for you as "shared" is shared with ... and must be managed.
step  4
The source-code-repository that is in reality become a pointer to a Windows-folder. If this pointer does not exist yet than you have to create one.   

That creating is missing in your references. It is needed once for every Windows-folder you are putting the code in.
There is also an "Add" button when you have the options of the source-code-repository use that..
SAS(R) 9.4 Stored Processes: Developer's Guide (example step 3) it is behind the manage button (here a C:\ Windows folder)

http://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings11/050-2011.pdf   you see an example where the installation path of SAS (Unix) is used, confusing as SAS is having the same naming conventions.

Remember that you must select a location on the Windows-server that is accessible to the SAS app-servers (you?). When you have remote access to the Windows-Server you could use the Windows explorer for that. Change your question of cannot find "Shared Data" to "at wich location on the Windows Server my source may be placed".

I assume the contentserver of the midtier with (9.3 9.4 is used for storing files in the metadata with 9.3 and up.
Metadata source code storage in 9.3 stored processes - Real BI for Real Users the refreshing is another attention point. 

51735 - A large SAS® Stored Process source-code file might be truncated when it is executed if it is...  

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 like
  • 5 in conversation