Relle
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I have a data set as described below:

donor iddonation amtdonation datepayment typeappeal id
001234£2026/11/2005direct debitHHU
001234£1528/12/2006cashHHI
001236£1016/8/2007direct debitHHJ

1.First, i want to merge data from another table (which has same donor id but with their  age, city and gender) to the above

2.Then  Create a table that has the total amount donated by each donor id; the first date of donation; last date of donation; the number of times they have donated(how many times they have donated from the first date of donation) exclude, payment type and appeal id from the output.

Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Lets call your two tables DONATIONS and DONORS.

Merge by donor id.

data details ;

merge donors donations ;

by donor_id;

run;

You can use PROC SUMMARY to calculate your statistics.

proc summary data=details ;

by donor_id;

var donation_amt donation_date;

output out=summary sum(donation_amt)=total min(donation_date)=first max(donation_date)=last n=number ;

run;

You might want to reverse the steps and get the summary first and then merge that with the donor list to get the name, city etc.

Relle
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Tom thanks for the helpful reply. I receive an error when i run the merge query, because some of the donor ids have letters in them.

"ERROR: variable donor id has been defined as both character and numeric"

How can i rectify this? thanks

Pallav
Calcite | Level 5

Do proc contents for both datasets and find out which variable has a numeric value for Donar_id. Convert that variable in to charactor using PUT function.

specify the variable length same as the second dataset Donar_ID variable.

Ksharp
Super User

The ERROR information has shown you that the donor_id in these two datasets has different type.

data one;
input id $      amt : dollar20.  date : ddmmyy10.  type & $20.     appeal  $;
format date ddmmyy10.;
cards;
001234 20 26/11/2005 direct debit     HHU
001234 15 28/12/2006 cash     HHI
001236  10 16/8/2007 direct debit    HHJ
;
run;
data two;
input id $ age city $ gender $;
cards;
001234 23 nv f
001236 45 bs m
;
run; 

proc sort data=one;by id date;run;
data temp;
 set one;
 by id;
 retain n sum first_date;
 if first.id then do;first_date=date; n=0;sum=0;end;
 n+1;sum+amt;
 if last.id then do;last_date=date;output;end;
 format first_date last_date ddmmyy10.;
 drop amt type appeal date;
run;

proc sort data=two;by id;run;
data want;
 merge temp two;
 by id;
run;

Ksharp

Relle
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you Ksharp,

Just a couple of questions as i am not familiar with most of the proc statements.

First the example table i have used is just a snapshot of the whole data set. There are actually 375, 000 records of data so will  the 'cards' function be applicable in this case? i'll like to use all the ids present in the data set.

Second when i try to run a proc summary statement, i receive an error to say the data is not sorted in ascending order of id.How can i rectify this?

Many thanks

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

Cards is just used to load some data entered within the code, this is n/a for your situation, just for the demo.

PROC SUMMARY with BY (and most other PROCs) assume that data is pre-sorted.

So, you can either sort your data first on the BY variable you wish to group by, or use CLASS instead (does not require input data to be sorted), or use PROC SQL GROUP BY.

Data never sleeps
Relle
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks for the clarification

Ksharp
Super User

LinusH has already respond your questions.

cards is only for demo. If you already have one two datasets at work library, then remove

these two cards.  And don't forget make sure the type of id has the same type in these two datasets.

Ksharp

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation