BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
ThierryHerrie
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

I'm executing a MS SQL Stored Procedure from SAS DI Studio like this:

PROC SQL ;
  CONNECT TO odbc (&_OUTPUT1_connect.) ;
  EXECUTE (TheStoredProcedure) BY odbc ;
  DISCONNECT FROM odbc ;
QUIT ;

However the Stored Procedure contains print messages like:

PRINT 'Rows inserted: ' + CAST(@rowsInsertedHD AS VARCHAR(100))

And those messages are come back as warnings in SAS.

Is there any way to suppress those warnings, without altering the Stored Procedure?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ThierryHerrie
Obsidian | Level 7
I've made a workarround by creating a SQL job that executes the SP. From SAS I execute the job. No warnings then and good enough for now.

We can't modify the Stored Procedure indeed.

Thanks for your help!

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
SASKiwi
PROC Star

What happens if you use: proc sql nowarn;

Note to stored procedure developer: Any printed output should be optional and turned off by default - program design 101.

ThierryHerrie
Obsidian | Level 7

Still getting warnings

SASKiwi
PROC Star

What's the issue for you? The warnings triggering a non-zero return code on the job or something else?

ThierryHerrie
Obsidian | Level 7
Yes, that's basically it.
Also because I am surprised that it looks like SAS treats the print statement from SQL as warnings
SASKiwi
PROC Star

What scheduler do you use? You might be able to tweak the batch script file to ignore warnings in this case. You could also open a track with SAS Tech Support to see if they have any other ideas.

I'm assuming here there is no possibility of getting the stored procedure changed as that would be the best option.

ThierryHerrie
Obsidian | Level 7
I've made a workarround by creating a SQL job that executes the SP. From SAS I execute the job. No warnings then and good enough for now.

We can't modify the Stored Procedure indeed.

Thanks for your help!
SASKiwi
PROC Star

@ThierryHerrie - No problem! Please mark your solution as answered in that case.

ashna
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

I facing same issue while executing, Can you provide the answer you figured out for solution. 

Hope that can help in resolving my issue.

Thanks,
Ashna

ThierryHerrie
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Ashna,

I created a job in SQL Server, using SQL Server Management Studio. The job executes the SQL Stored Procedure.

From SAS I execute the SQL Server job. That way I don't get a warning in the SAS log.

Kind regards,

Thierry

ashna
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks ll try and check if that helps me out 

k75240
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Theirry,

Could you please share sas code, where you are calling sql stored procedure from SAS EG. I'm facing same issue you faced earlier. Thanks.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

@k75240 - The code is in the first post. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 4 in conversation