BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
JibJam221
Obsidian | Level 7

hi! Currently, I am trying to use PROC REPORT to product a report that contains a grand totals row at the bottom (sum of each column). First, I created a table containing the data using PROC SQL: 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

proc sql;
create table tbl_AP as
 select
  Grl,
  count(PI) as Total,
  count (AR) as Inis
from w.empWFA
 where OCP= 3
 group by Grl;
quit;

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then, I used PROC REPORT to create the report, specifically using RBBREAK to get the grand totals:

proc report data= tbl_AP
   headline headskip;
 Title1 "Distribution of People ";
 column Grl Total Inis;
  define Grl / group 'Gp-LV';
  define Total / display;
  define Inis / display;
  rbreak after /summarize;

run;

Everytime, I run this program, I get 0 errors or warnings. The table with the proper titles and labels appear, however there is never a totals row at the bottom. Instead, just an empty row at the bottom. Could anyone provide any insight on where my code is wrong? 

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
Yes, but you need a COMPUTE block for that. You also have to be sure that your GRL variable is wide enough to hold the string "Grand Total" (11 characters). For example, if GRL is only 2 characters wide, then you would only be able to fit 'Gr' on the summary line by default and would have to use other methods of placing Grand Total. Look at this previous forum posting https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Procedures/Grand-Total/td-p/49481 for an example.

And for more advanced COMPUTE block examples, here's a paper: https://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings17/SAS0431-2017.pdf that might be of interest.

Cynthia

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
HI:
Read about PROC REPORT usage. Essentially, when you put "DISPLAY" as the usage (after the / in the DEFINE statement), you turned off any numbers on the summary line. Change the DISPLAY to SUM for TOTAL and INIS and the RBREAK will show you numbers.

Cynthia
JibJam221
Obsidian | Level 7

hi Cynthia! This worked perfectly, thanks! Now, is there any way for me to label the final row as "grand total"? The Grl column is not numerical, and contains characters. I was hoping to put the grand total label at the end of this column, followed by the computed totals of the other two columns (inis and Total).

thanks!

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
Yes, but you need a COMPUTE block for that. You also have to be sure that your GRL variable is wide enough to hold the string "Grand Total" (11 characters). For example, if GRL is only 2 characters wide, then you would only be able to fit 'Gr' on the summary line by default and would have to use other methods of placing Grand Total. Look at this previous forum posting https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Procedures/Grand-Total/td-p/49481 for an example.

And for more advanced COMPUTE block examples, here's a paper: https://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings17/SAS0431-2017.pdf that might be of interest.

Cynthia

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation