BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
CurtisER
Obsidian | Level 7

I want to suppress a particular row if one of the value meets the condition in a PROC REPORT.  I still need that row but not printed/displayed.

For example, I have a data that looks like this:

SCHED_ID  PERIOD  COMP  RC  TD

--------  ------  ----  --  --

A1        201501  OLD   .   .

A1        201501  NEW   1   9

A1        201501  DIF   1   1

A2        201501  OLD   1   1

A2        201501  NEW   1   1

A2        201501  DIF   .   .

I need to suppress the printing of rows with 'DIF' under COMP but I need to keep 'DIF' to get the cumulative counts.

I know using COMPUTE / ENDCOMP block is the way to go but how do I check the condition COMP='DIF' inside the block and suppress that row while still counting values under RC and TD.

Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Whilst it may be possible in proc report to do processing such as this, sure someone else will post on that, I would always do my calculations/processing in a datastep prior to any output procedure, so that I can store the data before reporting for validation purposes and to keep the report procedure clean.  

Therefore, in a datastep, do your sums ignoring those rows, then save that, and feed that into the proc report.  Note this is not tested, but something along these lines/

data for_report;
  set have;
  by sched_id;
  retain sum_rc sum_td;
  if first.sched_id then do;
    sum_rc=0;
    sum_td=0;
  end;
  if comp ne "DIF" then do;
    sum_rc=sum_rc+rc;
    sum_td=sum_td+td;
  end;
  if last then do;
    output;
    sched_id="Total";
    rc=sum_rc;
    td=sum_td;
    output;
  end;
  else output;
run;
CurtisER
Obsidian | Level 7

Only the DIFF should be summed (and the user wants the diff highlighted in the OLD/NEW row).  So, I use the value of 1 in DIFF to put in a highlight on a specific cell that changed.  The user also wants a total count of DIFF at the end (but not the sum of OLD/NEW).

Hence, that's why I need the DIFF row to keep and to suppress.  Sorry, I didn't add this bit in the original post.

Thanks.

Reeza
Super User

What does your proc report look like currently?

You might be able to do a conditional format on the variable instead, or possibly a custom format. 

CurtisER
Obsidian | Level 7

Do you mean a PROC REPORT code?  Or the actual report?

Currently the code is a simple PROC REPORT -- no COMPUTE/ENDCOMP block as of yet.

proc report data = microdata_changes_check2
               style(report header lines summary calldef column) = {FONT_FACE = Palatino} NOWD;
      title1 "Microdata Changes";
      title2 "Run Date: &SYSDATE9.";

columns comp sched period emp jo ld os ts rc;

define comp / STYLE(HEADER) = {FONT_WEIGHT = BOLD};
      define sched / group center STYLE(HEADER) = {FONT_WEIGHT = BOLD};
      define period / group center STYLE(HEADER) = {FONT_WEIGHT = BOLD};
      define emp / center STYLE(HEADER) = {FONT_WEIGHT = BOLD};
      define jo / center STYLE(HEADER) = {FONT_WEIGHT = BOLD};
      define ld / center STYLE(HEADER) = {FONT_WEIGHT = BOLD};
      define os / center STYLE(HEADER) = {FONT_WEIGHT = BOLD};
      define ts / center STYLE(HEADER) = {FONT_WEIGHT = BOLD};
      define rc / center STYLE(HEADER) = {FONT_WEIGHT = BOLD};
   run;

It's sorted by sched period.

The output uses tagsets.ExcelXP:

Microdata Changes
Run Date: 13JAN2016

COMPSchedulePeriodEMPJOLDOSTSRC
DIFFA1201511.....1
OLD  1312572003711
NEW  1312572003790
DIFFA2201511...11.
OLD  10127124404890
NEW  101271244-1-190
DIFFTotal  ..11

As you can see, I want to suppress the rows with DIFF so that the schedule/period falls on the OLD line.  And the final line shows counts of DIFF.  The text in orange are the hightlighted cells in orange (I can't seem to add a highlight in this post). 

The spreadsheet layout is what the user wants.

So, 1) get that DIFF row suppressed in the output (the user only wants to see OLD/NEW);

2) use the DIFF row in each columns to find which cells to highlight; and

3) sum up DIFF in each columns to get the total.

Thanks.

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Well, you know your data and output best.  My point is to do all the necessary calculations in a datastep *before* the proc report.  What calculations, flags etc. you setup is up to you.  I.e. so you end up with a dataset which looks similar to the output report, with the flags needed for the traffic lighting.

Ksharp
Super User

No . you can't Suppress a Row in proc report . 

One thing I can image is using call define() to make this row ' forecolor be white which is same as the report's background, and might be hide it but still will print it .

Maybe you should post it at ODS and Base Reporting  and see Cynthia@sas if have some better idea .

CurtisER
Obsidian | Level 7

@Ksharp wrote:

No . you can't Suppress a Row in proc report . 

One thing I can image is using call define() to make this row ' forecolor be white which is same as the report's background, and might be hide it but still will print it .

1)  That's my conclusion I've come to that a row cannot be suppressed in PROC REPORT.

2)  That's a good idea and I'll play around with this idea.

Thanks all for the responses.  I have what I need to know.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation