BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Yes I have SAS/ACCESS Interface to PC Files

--
Paige Miller
data_null__
Jade | Level 19

Editor's note: this is a popular topic, so we've consolidated several of the most helpful answers in a single reply.

This was posted on SAS-L from @snoopy369.  Does it help address your problem? 

With the DBMS=EXCEL or EXCELCS options, you can force SAS to read them as text using the DBDSOPTS option.  It's something like this:

proc import file="whatever.xls" data=whatever dbms=excel replace;
DBDSOPTS= "DBTYPE=(var1='NUM(8)' var2='CHAR(3)')";
run;

I don't tend to remember the exact combination of ( and = and " for this, so the above is probably slightly off, but you can google it and get the right combination, or when I get into work i'll look at some code I have that does it properly.

Another approach from@Vimal_Kurup:

The one way i am handling this is by setting GETNAMES=NO and STARTROW=1. Since the column names are obviously characters, SAS would import all the data as character attributes. You can later remove the first obs and use the remainder of dataset.

From @Haikuo, an approach that doesn't use PROC IMPORT:

In EG though, you can manually change attributes of each variable when doing import or export.  

On a side note, here is good SUGI paper on dealing with the Excel files using SAS:

http://www2.sas.com/proceedings/sugi31/020-31.pdf

kleinhev
Calcite | Level 5

The correct syntax for this is:

DBDSOPTS= "DBTYPE=(var1='NUM(8)' var2='CHAR(3)')";

Note the blanks between variable definitions and the different quotation marks.

Ravikumarkummari
Quartz | Level 8

proc import file="whatever.xls" data=whatever dbms=excel replace;

dbdsopts=(dbsastype("var1='NUMERIC(8)' var2='CHAR(3)'));

run;

Is this code works in SAS 9.3?

Vimal_Kurup
Fluorite | Level 6
The one way i am handling this is by setting GETNAMES=NO and STARTROW=1. Since the column names are obviously characters, SAS would import all the data as character attributes. You can later remove the first obs and use the remainder of dataset.

Hope this helps!
Ksharp
Super User

There is little choice to change the variable's type for proc import .

But if you can, you can change it after importing it into SAS .

Ksharp

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

There is little choice to change the variable's type for proc import .

But if you can, you can change it after importing it into SAS .

Thanks for not trying to redefine my problem. I am disappointed that there is no better solution, but this seems to be the way to go.

--
Paige Miller
ShashikanthRai
Calcite | Level 5

Try the following Code: if u want "LBREFID" to be in numeric then keep as shown below, else if u want it in char then Update LBREFID $ 8 in Length and $CHAR8. in input .

/*

The file will probably have DOS line-endings, so specify the delimiter as both the comma and the carriage return. The way the do this is to write them in hexadecimal, as "DLM='2C0D'x" on the infile statement.

Specify infile option "dsd" so that consequtive commas are recognized as missing values.

Specify infile option "missover" so that trailing missing values on a line are recognized as such (Excel doesn't output consequtive commas for trailling missing values).

Specify infile option "lrecl" long enough for the longest record (it defaults to 256).

Specify infile option "firstobs=2" so that the line of column names is skipped.

*/

Data AAA;

LENGTH

STUDY            $ 8

PT                 6

LBREFID           8

;

infile "<<Path>>\Lab_data.csv" dlm='2C0D'x dsd missover lrecl=10000 firstobs=2

;

INPUT

STUDY            : $CHAR8.

PT               : ?? BEST6.

LBREFID          : ?? BEST8.

;

run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 7 likes
  • 10 in conversation