BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Saraja
Fluorite | Level 6

I am running PROC GLM for the fixed effects regression of variable  &depVar. over independent variables &indVar., while controlling for fixed effects for the geographic variation HRR_x_Year. Both ways, the results must be equivalent; however, in first case it complains about a singularity and R-square jumps to 0.84, where as in later case the R-square due to HRR_x_Year only changes about 0.06.Is the implementation different intrinsically.

PROC GLM DATA=WORK.MODEL2;
   absorb HRR_x_Year;
   model &depVar.=  &indVar.  / SS3  SOLUTION ;
run;

"Note: The X'X matrix has been found to be singular, and a generalized inverse was used to solve the normal equations.  Terms whose estimates are followed by the letter 'B' are not uniquely estimable."

PROC GLM DATA=WORK.MODEL2;
   Class HRR_x_Year;
   model &depVar.= &indVar. HRR_x_Year / SS3  SOLUTION ;
run;

4 REPLIES 4
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

Is it possible that you have reversed the order of the two procedure calls?

The message 

Note: The X'X matrix has been found to be singular...

is displayed when you use CLASS variables and you use the SOLUTION option to request the parameter estimates. The NOTE reminds you that the GLM parameterization of classification effects is a singular parameterization and therefore the last level of the classification variable will be set to zero.  

S4uc3
Calcite | Level 5

Hi I know this is an old thread but I seem to be having the same problem, were you able to find a solution? If so do you mind sharing? 

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Please show us the different results.

--
Paige Miller
S4uc3
Calcite | Level 5
Thanks for the response. I found a thread you had replied to which suggested theissue was that the absorb statement does not work with two way Fixed Effects. Thanks

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation