BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
I work in the medical insurance industry. We typically look at trend costs on a per member per month (PMPM) basis as opposed to looking at it in total dollars, since membership levels are constantly changing. We want to know specific costs for the "average" member, so that a large company going out of business won't skew total dollars in a particular region. So we need to get total dollars divided by total members for a particular location/time.

The problem I'm running into in building an OLAP cube is that we classify claims by more variables than membership. For example, claims might be classified with the dimensions TIME, REGION, HOSPITAL, and PROCEDURE. But membership is only classified with dimensions TIME and REGION. So when I build a cube and drill down on TIME/REGION/HOSPITAL/PROCEDURE, I want to only include membership for TIME/REGION. Similarly, if we did a national review based on TIME/PROCEDURE, I'd want the membership (in the denominator of the PMPM metric) to be only based on TIME.

Ultimately I'd like my OLAP cube to have measurements such as PMPM, that are calculated using different membership totals in the denominator based on whether TIME and/or LOCATION is used, even though I'll drill down on more claims-related dimensions. (Right now my membership table is separate from the claims table, even though the names of the common dimension levels are the same.)

Is this possible? Any advice or references would be appreciated.

Thanks.
3 REPLIES 3
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
There aren't many SAS procedures that can be used on OLAP cubes. If you post your question in the Web Report Studio forum, you may find more OLAP folks over there.

cynthia
deleted_user
Not applicable
I was thinking PROC OLAP, but I guess that's about it. I'll post elsewhere. Thanks.
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
A lot of folks use OLAP Cube Studio as their interface to build OLAP cubes instead of PROC OLAP. You -might- find a few PROC OLAP people in this forum, but mostly, the OLAP users and builders are in the Web Report Studio forum (some might be in the Data Integration forum, too, now that I think about it a bit more.)

cynthia

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation