BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
DJENS
Calcite | Level 5
Can someone help me with this one....tearing my hair out.

I am trying to see the code that Proc Import uses to import my Excel spreadsheet. But the code is not being displayed in the log window and I think it is supposed to be there. Did I somehow turn an option off or something?

Any help would be appreciated.

Dave
10 REPLIES 10
andreas_lds
Jade | Level 19
Stop tearing your hair out, the internal code of proc import has never been printed to the log.
venkatesh
Calcite | Level 5
If u cant identify then try this..

Tools->Options->log->general->reset

all default options will be reset(Don't know how much it will help)

Venky.....
deleted_user
Not applicable
I use proc import in my code but for csv file,

but internally it uses infile & input statements , and the same gets printed in log.
Flip
Fluorite | Level 6
You are thinking of using the File| Import menu selection. That will give you the infile statements used.

I STAND CORRECTED, THEY WORK THE SAME.
deleted_user
Not applicable
Proc import for flat files (csv etc.) is supposed to produce a log entry with the datastep used. See the following absrtract for more useful info...

http://www2.sas.com/proceedings/sugi30/038-30.pdf

So I would suggest a proc import from Excel will produce nothing. Message was edited by: pznew
deleted_user
Not applicable
DJENS

in the import wizard there is a dialog box to name a file into which the wizard will send a copy of the proc import code.
Is that what you wanted?

PeterC
Sharkie
Calcite | Level 5

Common problem.  I have lots of issues importing Excel spreadsheets with observations like #N/A, ot blanks in what should be numeric columns.  Here's what you do:

1. Save a copy of the excel spreadsheet as a .CSV file;
  2. Import that CSV file;
  3. Unlike with Excel, import  now prints a detailed log  (why only for CSV files and not Excel is a total mystery to me) which you can edit, or modify the formats and informats;

Really obvious... NOT.

ballardw
Super User

Reason for the Import from Excel (and actually other databases) mystery: use of Microsoft or other application data engine that responds to a SAS request from the named source. So there are no lines of code resulting that SAS could execute.

SAS_2_Python
Calcite | Level 5

I had the same problem when importing a .csv. Drove me crazy because I have done it a 1000 times in the past. Solution:

options source;

I had options nonsource.

evp000
Quartz | Level 8

I just had the same problem.  Was trying to import with a very simple proc import, csv.  Got an error but no information.  Had done this a million times before and couldn't figure out the problem.  Finally I closed down SAS and re-opened it and it worked.  Go figure.  

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 like
  • 9 in conversation