BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
grande44
Calcite | Level 5

Hi all! I'm wondering if it is possible to tell SAS to include more than one WHERE clause in a PROC SQL, and if so, how? Here is what I attempted to do. I have 2 datasets, NOC_TRY4 and NOC_75. NOC_75 is a list of OCCGROUPS and CODES that I want to be included in the original dataset NOC_TRY4 - that is, any CODE within an OCCGROUP that is not included in the list NOC_75 should be deleted.

PROCSQL;

CREATETABLE GOODDATA AS

SELECT * FROM NOC_TRY4, NOC_75

WHERE NOC_75.OCCGROUP=NOC_TRY4.OCCGROUP

WHERE NOC_75.CODE=NOC_TRY4.CODE;

QUIT;

SAS returns this error in the logs:

1413  PROC SQL;

1414      CREATE TABLE NICETRY AS

1415      SELECT * FROM NOC_TRY4, NOC_75

1416      WHERE NOC_75.OCCGROUP=NOC_TRY4.OCCGROUP

1417      WHERE NOC_75.CODE=NOC_TRY4.CODE;

-----

ERROR
22-322: Syntax error, expecting one of the following: ;, !, !!, &, *, **,
+, -, /, <, <=,

<>, =, >, >=, AND,
EQ, EQT, EXCEPT, GE, GET, GROUP, GT, GTT, HAVING, INTERSECT, LE,

LET, LT, LTT, NE, NET, NOT, OR,
ORDER, OUTER, UNION, ^, ^=, |, ||, ~, ~=.

ERROR
76-322: Syntax error, statement will be ignored.

1418  QUIT;

NOTE:
The SAS System stopped processing this step because of errors.

NOTE:
PROCEDURE SQL used (Total process time):

real time           0.00 seconds

cpu time            0.00 seconds

Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

(Please see my response to Reeza below for an update of the problem I keep running into)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User

grande44 wrote:

But shouldn't I be left with only 1051 observations if there are only 1051 Codes in NOC_75?

Not if there are duplicate keys in your data set, where the keys in your case are occgroup and code.

Try the following code to extract duplicates and unique records from NOC_75 and you can run the same thing for your other data set.

proc sort

data = NOC_75

out = duplicates_75

uniqueout = singles_75

nouniquekey;

by occgroup code;

run;

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Astounding
PROC Star

Not multiple WHERE statements, but multiple conditions in a single WHERE statement.  It looks like SAS is already suggesting the answer.  Replace the second "WHERE" with "AND".  See if that does what you need.

Reeza
Super User

Use AND to join the WHERE conditions

I would recommend explicitly listing your join type as well as using ON instead of where in this particular instance - its faster processing.

PROC SQL;

CREATETABLE GOODDATA AS

SELECT *

FROM NOC_TRY4

full join NOC_75

on NOC_75.OCCGROUP=NOC_TRY4.OCCGROUP

AND NOC_75.CODE=NOC_TRY4.CODE;

QUIT;

grande44
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks for your help, everyone. No matter what variation of PROC SQL I use, I run into the same problem.

NOC_75 is a list of 1051 observations of Codes and their corresponding OccGroup. However, every time I use PROC SQL to create a new dataset using NOC_75 and NOC_TRY4, the result has more than 1051 observations. For example, the PROC SQL step suggested by Reeza yields a table with 1693 observations.

But shouldn't I be left with only 1051 observations if there are only 1051 Codes in NOC_75?

morgalr
Obsidian | Level 7

In a ProcSQL step do:

select count(1) from <your table name here>;

It will show you how many observations are truly in the table. You will not have a correct solution if you have more observations than available.

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Thats down to the logic of your join, has nothing to do with what syntax SAS uses.  I would suggest you read up on how joins work and what they return.  Here is an annotated display of each type of join and a visual of what they return. 

Capture.PNG

I would suggest from what you have given then you want the second on the left.

Reeza
Super User

grande44 wrote:

Not if there are duplicate keys in your data set, where the keys in your case are occgroup and code.

Try the following code to extract duplicates and unique records from NOC_75 and you can run the same thing for your other data set.

proc sort

data = NOC_75

out = duplicates_75

uniqueout = singles_75

nouniquekey;

by occgroup code;

run;

grande44
Calcite | Level 5

Wow, that seems to be the key issue. There are many duplicates in NOC_75 and I had not realized that this would be the case. It turns out I may need to go back to previous steps in my program to account for this possibility. Thank you!

ballardw
Super User

Sounds more like a left join

PROCSQL;

CREATETABLE GOODDATA AS

SELECT * FROM NOC_TRY4 left join NOC_75

On NOC_75.OCCGROUP=NOC_TRY4.OCCGROUP

and NOC_75.CODE=NOC_TRY4.CODE;

QUIT;

PGStats
Opal | Level 21

To extract NOC_TRY4 records which are also present in NOC_75, you need a simple inner join between the two tables

PROC SQL;

CREATE TABLE GOODDATA AS

SELECT NOC_TRY4.*

FROM

NOC_TRY4 inner join

NOC_75

on NOC_75.OCCGROUP=NOC_TRY4.OCCGROUP and

NOC_75.CODE=NOC_TRY4.CODE;

QUIT;

PG

PG
morgalr
Obsidian | Level 7

If you are trying to get the NOC_TRY4 for either condition, then you use an "OR"

CREATETABLE GOODDATA AS

WHERE NOC_75.OCCGROUP=NOC_TRY4.OCCGROUP OR NOC_75.CODE=NOC_TRY4.CODE;

But if you are using the condition as exclusionary clauses and only want the results when both condition are true, then you use an "AND"

CREATETABLE GOODDATA AS

WHERE NOC_75.OCCGROUP=NOC_TRY4.OCCGROUP AND NOC_75.CODE=NOC_TRY4.CODE;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 12 likes
  • 7 in conversation