BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
hanson4022
Calcite | Level 5

I've been browsing around on google and here seeing some discussion about how SAS utilizes multiple CPU cores. It seems like SAS has been adding more options for multi-threading and procedures that use it by default in the last few versions. However, I haven't been able to find a recent resource for SAS 9.3 that spells out especially what procedures support it. Has anyone stumbled across recent documentation like this? There are a few papers out there from a few years ago, but since they're for older versions of SAS I can't be sure what current versions support.

What I'm ultimately hoping is that a few of my commonly used procedures, such as PROC LOGISTIC, have the option to use it. In many cases I do regressions using very large combinations of by variables and output all the results to a single dataset showing model fit for each variable combination. That takes quite awhile, but it seems like a very opportune type of analysis to take advantage of multi-threading since you should be able to run all of the analyses of the by variables in parallel. Unfortunately I'm away from my computer with SAS installed for awhile, so I can't test it out for myself right now. I'm looking into getting an 8-core processor soon, so I just overall wanted to see how much I would be able to utilize all of it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi:

Have you looked in the R&D Scalability community area? For example:

Scalability and Performance Success Story

Scalable SAS Procedures     

In those topics, there is an email for specific scalability suggestions if you want to check on LOGISTIC, specifically. But I only see these 4 SAS/STAT procedures listed.

cynthia

List of SAS/STAT procedures                  

• PROC REG *                    
  • PROC GLM                    
  • PROC LOESS                    
  • PROC ROBUSTREG                    
  • in Enterprise Miner                  
    • PROC DMREG *                    
    • PROC DMINE *                    

(* Supports parallel read with SPD Engine)

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi:

Have you looked in the R&D Scalability community area? For example:

Scalability and Performance Success Story

Scalable SAS Procedures     

In those topics, there is an email for specific scalability suggestions if you want to check on LOGISTIC, specifically. But I only see these 4 SAS/STAT procedures listed.

cynthia

List of SAS/STAT procedures                  

• PROC REG *                    
  • PROC GLM                    
  • PROC LOESS                    
  • PROC ROBUSTREG                    
  • in Enterprise Miner                  
    • PROC DMREG *                    
    • PROC DMINE *                    

(* Supports parallel read with SPD Engine)

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation