BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
KevinC_
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello Everyone,

I am merging two datasets: old and new.   Dataset old has historical data from prior dates and contains 900 columns.  Dataset new has 800 columns and contains new data for today, and hese 800 columns also exist in OLD.  I would like to update the common 800 columns in OLD with value from NEW and keep the other 100 columns in OLD as is where cust_id is in both OLD and NEW.    The code below attemps to do that.  But I couldn't possibly list all 800 columns in the data step.  See the sample data below.  Dataset OUT1 has the 1st 100 columns from OLD and columns 101 to column 900 are populated with value from NEW.  I hope this makes sense.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

data out1;

merge old (in=a) new (in=b);

by cust_id;

if a or b;

if a = 0 and b = 1 then col1 = new_col1;

if a = 0 and b = 1 then col2 = new_col2;

run;

Dataset OLD:

cust_id col1 col2 col3 ...col100, col101, col102,..  col898, col899, col 900

111111   aa   bb   cc ....   dd       gg         kk          ff         ll          kk

222222   bb   cc    dd ....   bc        ee         nn          qq        tt         gg

Dataset NEW:

cust_id col1 col2... col798, col799, col800

111111 uu   ww....   xx       yy       zz

Dataset OUT1:

cust_id col1 col2 col3 ... col100, col101, col102,..  col898, col899, col900

111111  aa    bb   cc....    dd        uu      ww....     xx       yy       zz

4 REPLIES 4
Astounding
PROC Star

It looks like you are trying for this combination:

data out1;
   update old new;

by cust_id;

run;

Read up a little bit on UPDATE ... it's probably the right tool for the job.

Haikuo
Onyx | Level 15

Hi,

I would assume that your cust_id is unique, and you want variable in NEW col1-col800 to replace those of col101-col900 in old, if that is the case, all you need to do is to rename the incoming variables from NEW during the merge: (the caveat of this approach is the total length of macro variable is only 32k)

proc sql;

select cats(name,'=',cats(compress(name,,'ka'),input(compress(name,,'kd'),best.)+100)) into :name separated by ' '

from dictionary.columns where libname='YOURLIB'/*NEED TO BE CAPPED*/ AND MEMNAME='NEW' /*CAPPED*/

and name contains 'col';

QUIT;

data out1;

merge old new(rename=(&name));

by cust_id;

run;

Haikuo

ArtC
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Starting with SAS9 the size of macro variables has been increased to 64K. Smiley Happy

Haikuo
Onyx | Level 15

Thanks for the update, Art!

Haikuo

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation