BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
namrata
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi

I need to find the median of the size variable for each country in my panel dataset and create a dummy variable:1 for values >median and 0 otherwise.

I read and also realised while doing,that the median function does not work using Proc SQL.So,I tried the simple Proc Panel command:

Having sorted the data by country,firm and year,I used the following steps:

proc panel data=have;

by country;

new=median(size);

run;

The error that comes up is: Statement is not valid or it is used out of proper order.

Can anybody advise about the median?

1 REPLY 1
ArtC
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Although I have not used PROC PANEL, I do not believe that that it supports programming statements.

You can calculate the median of a variable using other procedures.  Most likely for your needs will be either MEANS or SUMMARY.

proc summary data=have;

class country;

var size;

output out=want median= /autoname;

run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation