BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
tmm
Fluorite | Level 6 tmm
Fluorite | Level 6

I am connecting to a DB2 server and trying to run this query:

proc sql;

connect odbc (dsn);

create table claims as select * from connection to odbc

(select distinct

mbr_id,

prov_mpin,

prov_id,

(max(prov_row_eff_dt)) as prov_eff_dt

from co.table

where mbr_id>0);

order by mbr_id;

disconnect from odbc;

quit;

an expression starting with prov_id specified in select clause, having clause or order by clause is not specified in the group by or the select clause

having clause or oder by clause with a column function and no group by clause is specified.

So I moved the prov_id to above the prov_mpin and then I get the same error but it relates to prov_mpin. so that tells me something is wrong with the max statement. if i taked the max out and just put in prov_row_eff_dt as prov_eff_dt the query runs. So something I am doing is not right with just that max portion. I tried removing the () around the max and that did not work. I am trying to get the max date of the prov_row_eff_dt so I get the newest prov_id.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
tmm
Fluorite | Level 6 tmm
Fluorite | Level 6

So I should have

where mbr_id>0

group by mbr_id, prov_id, prov_row_eff_dt);

order by mbr_id;

disconnect from odbc;

quit;

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Haikuo
Onyx | Level 15

If you use max(), min(), sum(), count(), freq, n, range, nmiss, std and many many others, which are so called summary functions, you HAVE to use 'group by' at the same time.

Regards,

Haikuo

Reeza
Super User

As an add on to Hai.Kuo comments, if you're using GROUP BY in SQL pass through you'll also have to explicitly remerge back all other fields you want that aren't in the Group BY statement or in a summary function because of SQL restrictions.

tmm
Fluorite | Level 6 tmm
Fluorite | Level 6

So I should have

where mbr_id>0

group by mbr_id, prov_id, prov_row_eff_dt);

order by mbr_id;

disconnect from odbc;

quit;

BobD
Fluorite | Level 6

I don't think so.  Try this:

proc sql;

connect odbc (dsn);

create table claims as

select * from connection to odbc (

select mbr_id

, prov_mpin

, prov_id

, max(prov_row_eff_dt) as prov_eff_dt

from   co.table

where  mbr_id > 0

group by 1,2,3

)

order by mbr_id;

disconnect from odbc;

quit;

I reformatted your query to make it easier to read. I removed the DISTINCT keyword because I don't think it is needed, and I used column references (1,2,3) in the GROUP BY clause, which I'm pretty sure will work.  I also deleted a stray semi-colon from your example code (in front of your ORDER BY clause).

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation