BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
GKati
Pyrite | Level 9

Dear SAS-users,

I am running several regressions as above. I am creating 'parmest' dataset to save the results. My problem is that the length of the variable "parameter" in parmest_1 and parmest_2 are different due to the max. length of the parameter. One has 15 characters the other one has 19. This means that the name on the categorical variable "year" will be different also: "year 2010" vs 'year    2010'.

When I merge the two datasets ( parmest_1 and parmest_2), SAS doesn't recognize them as the same name.

Somehow I need to set the length of the variable parameter even before it is created. How would I go about doing that?

Thanks.

data claims_1;
input client year cost contract;
datalines;
18 2011 589.92 10.2
19 2010 1629.8 11.5
20 2011 1813.29 2.3
21 2012 412.06 3.2
22 2012 219.82 0.4
23 2010 3669.98 5.9
24 2012 4879.63 6.8

;
run;

/*model 1*/
proc glm data=claims_1;
class year (ref='2010' );
model cost=year/ solution;
ods output ParameterEstimates=work.parmest_1;
run;

/* model 2*/
proc glm data=claims_1;
class year (ref='2010' );
model cost=year|contract/ solution;
ods output ParameterEstimates=work.parmest_2;
run;

data work.parmest_1;
set work.parmest_1;
keep Parameter Estimate;
rename Estimate=Estimate1;
run;

data work.parmest_2;
set work.parmest_2;
keep Parameter Estimate;
rename Estimate=Estimate2;
run;

proc sort data=parmest_1 out=parmest_1;
by Parameter;

run;

proc sort data=parmest_2 out=parmest_2;
by Parameter;
run;

DATA work.parmest;
length parameter $19;
MERGE parmest_1 parmest_2;
BY Parameter;
RUN;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

You can replace the last 5 steps with :

proc sql;
create table parmEst as select compbl(coalesce(a.parameter,b.parameter)) as parameter, a.estimate as estimate1, b.estimate as estimate2 from parmest_1 as a full join parmest_2 as b on compbl(a.parameter) = compbl(b.parameter); quit;
PG

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Reeza
Super User

I don't get that note, with your LENGTH statement in, though 19 is a bit short. I would set it to at least 32*2+1 for 2 variables Plus an interaction symbol. 

GKati
Pyrite | Level 9
I edited my post. I hope this makes it more clear.
GKati
Pyrite | Level 9
It doesn't matter how I specify the length of the variable 'parameter', I get the same problem. Or am I misunderstanding your comment?
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Fix the length before the step that does the merge. Should be easy since you already have data steps that are modifying the datasets.

data work.parmest_1;
length Parameter $50 ;
set work.parmest_1;
keep Parameter Estimate;
rename Estimate=Estimate1;
run;

data work.parmest_2;
length Parameter $50 ;
set work.parmest_2;
keep Parameter Estimate;
rename Estimate=Estimate2;
run;

DATA work.parmest;
MERGE work.parmest_1 work.parmest_2;
BY Parameter;
RUN;
GKati
Pyrite | Level 9

Thanks for your post Tom! Unfortunately that doesn't work. The name is created by then..."year 2010" vs 'year    2010'.  

My gut feeling tells me I  need to do something before the regression is run.

Reeza
Super User

@GKati wrote:

Thanks for your post Tom! Unfortunately that doesn't work. The name is created by then..."year 2010" vs 'year    2010'.  

My gut feeling tells me I  need to do something before the regression is run.

Unfortunately I think the only way to control the ODS tables are using templates which is a pain and overkill. 
My other thought was to get the data using an OUTPUT/OUT option, since you're only working with the estimates but I didn't see a way to do that which makes me think I've been staring at too much computers this week because it should be there somewhere.

GKati
Pyrite | Level 9
Unfortunately, i do need things other than parameters in my full code. I also merge in Number of observations, and goodness of fit statistics.
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

You can replace the last 5 steps with :

proc sql;
create table parmEst as select compbl(coalesce(a.parameter,b.parameter)) as parameter, a.estimate as estimate1, b.estimate as estimate2 from parmest_1 as a full join parmest_2 as b on compbl(a.parameter) = compbl(b.parameter); quit;
PG
GKati
Pyrite | Level 9
This didn't produce any output for me and I'm not sure which part of it would solve my problem.
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

The output was in the Output window, I just edited the query to create a table instead. Please try it again.

PG
GKati
Pyrite | Level 9
Yes, this works! Thanks

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation