BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
pkrish
Calcite | Level 5

Hello All,

I am running a query against the database and writing results to a tab-delimited text file. I have data missing for some columns. When I do a proc import, some of the data seems to be contained in one column instead of separate columns.

Here is the script I am using below. I have also attached the test file. There are totally 23 columns in the original table.

Proc Import Script:

LIBNAME vertsas 'test/user';

PROC IMPORT DATAFILE="testFile.txt"

OUT=vertsas.testFile

DBMS=dlm

REPLACE;

DELIMITER=’09’x;

GETNAMES=yes;

RUN;

When I generate the sas dataset and open it in Enterprise guide, I see the issue mentioned above

Please let me know if this is an encoding issue or a delimiter issue.

Thanks!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

You don't have column headers in your source text file. Your code works for me once I change the syntax accordingly to "getnames=no".

Also: Opening your source text file with Notepad++ it tells me that the encoding is "UTF-8 without BOM". To be on the safe side in regards or character translation to single byte encoding you might want to explicitly tell SAS that the source is UTF-8 as done below.

LIBNAME vertsas 'C:\test';

filename source 'C:\test\testFile.txt' encoding="utf-8" lrecl=32767;

PROC IMPORT DATAFILE=source

OUT=vertsas.testFile

DBMS=dlm

REPLACE;

DELIMITER='09'x;

GETNAMES=no;

RUN;

proc contents data=vertsas.testfile;

run;quit;

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
ballardw
Super User

There are 25 columns using a tab delimiter in the example file. There are 2 before the first variable which are possibly the unexpected ones. The example data also looks like there not any actual names on the columns.

Also the posted code DELIMITER=’09’x; has the "wrong" type of single quote, at least to execute as shown.

pkrish
Calcite | Level 5

Sorry, I am beginner with SAS. what's the correct quote to be used?

Also, Does number of columns in text file matter?

pkrish
Calcite | Level 5

Do I need to provide column names in the input text file for the script to work correctly?

Thanks again!

ballardw
Super User

The quote may have been changed based on how you pasted the source code, if you went through a program such as Word it may have changed a ' to the ’. In this forum it is somewhat difficult to see but the one posted is the curly version not the straight version.

If you don't have actual column names then don't use the Getnames option. You can use proc datasets to rename the VAR1 to VARN and add descriptive labels after importing the data.

The number of columns is going to be defined by your delimiter when used. If you don't want VAR1 and VAR2 then they can be dropped later.

OR you can write a data step to read the text file using an INPUT statement and INFILE options. The data step approach lets you read the names as you might want, special informats such as for date or time values, assign labels and display formats as well as dropping specific variables or additional manipulation as wanted.

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

You don't have column headers in your source text file. Your code works for me once I change the syntax accordingly to "getnames=no".

Also: Opening your source text file with Notepad++ it tells me that the encoding is "UTF-8 without BOM". To be on the safe side in regards or character translation to single byte encoding you might want to explicitly tell SAS that the source is UTF-8 as done below.

LIBNAME vertsas 'C:\test';

filename source 'C:\test\testFile.txt' encoding="utf-8" lrecl=32767;

PROC IMPORT DATAFILE=source

OUT=vertsas.testFile

DBMS=dlm

REPLACE;

DELIMITER='09'x;

GETNAMES=no;

RUN;

proc contents data=vertsas.testfile;

run;quit;

pkrish
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks Patrick. That helped.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 3 in conversation