BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
zuki
Calcite | Level 5

I need to import data from European Social Survey - ESS DATA - Cumulative Data. I'm not very good at using SAS so I just naively tried importing the text file one gets but it stores it all in one variable.

Can someone maybe help me with what to do? Since there doesn't seem to be a guide on their web page i reckon it has to be pretty easy.

It's free to register (and takes 5 secs) and I need all possible data for Denmark.

Hope someone is willing to help.

Thanks in advance,

Henrik

Edit: I posted the question at another site and the problem is solved. Thank you for your interest!

2 REPLIES 2
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

I didn't register, but guess there are two things that you need to attend to.

1) select the SAS format for the data.

2) That typically results in a SAS Transport Data set (the extension is .xpt).  To read a transport file, you need to specify it in the libname statement as the engine, e.g.

LIBNAME mydata XPORT '<path><the download file name with the extension>';

Then do a proc contents to see what you have,

PROC CONTENTS DATA=mydata._all_;

RUN;

and go from there.

Ksharp
Super User

Could you post some sample data ?

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation