BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
GrokAndRoll
Calcite | Level 5

A bit of history

Yesterday I asked this question, about reading a JSON file which had arbitrary carriage returns in it, and reading it into one variable. This was because the random new lines were messing with my INPUT statement.

I'm having a separate issue with the same file which I thought I'd raise separately.

My new problem

Now that I've sanitised the file to remove the random new lines, I have a text file containing JSON which has a single line of text whose length exceeds 32767 characters (worth pointing out that even before I removed the random new lines, there were still lines longer than 32767 characters!)

When I try to read this line in, my INPUT step only processes records until the 32767th character, then ends, so I'm left with a fraction of the observations that I should have.

I assume this is either due to the maximum length of the input buffer or the fact that I've set the LRECL to its maximum value (32767)?

What I'd like to do

Ideally I'd like to specify a record delimiter string (e.g. "},{") which could split my massive, massive line to treat each JSON object (which are wrapped in curly brackets) individually. Is this possible? Any solution which will allow me to read this whole file would work though.

Any help appreciated.

<<Sample file attached>>

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
GrokAndRoll
Calcite | Level 5

Aha! My assertion that 32767 was the maximum length of LRECL was incorrect. Thanks to this post, I've realised I could bump the size of the _infile_ to whatever I want, and this has stopped my issues.

Thank you @Tom !

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Ksharp
Super User

Could you use PROC JSON to get data. or just use JAVA code to get it .

GrokAndRoll
Calcite | Level 5

Ksharp - As I understand it, PROC JSON is only for outputting JSON, not consuming it. To be honest it is looking more and more like I might have to use Java.

I take it it's just not possible to specify a "record delimiter" then?

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

I did post some links on reading Json files in your first thread.

They were presentations on forums

---->-- ja karman --<-----
GrokAndRoll
Calcite | Level 5

Jaap - Thanks, I did check those out but couldn't immediately get them working, and wanted to see if I could tweak the parsing code I already had before scrapping it. I do appreciate you linking them, and will probably have to use that approach the more I look into it!

GrokAndRoll
Calcite | Level 5

Aha! My assertion that 32767 was the maximum length of LRECL was incorrect. Thanks to this post, I've realised I could bump the size of the _infile_ to whatever I want, and this has stopped my issues.

Thank you @Tom !

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

I did include some links on reading Json files in your first thread.

They were sessions with papers presented on forum events.

The 32k limit was I already mentioned of a string variable.

With sting handling you should be able to manage that.

Make a pointer to what is scanned and shorten.trim that part.

---->-- ja karman --<-----
Ksharp
Super User

I understand what TOM means. but you also can define this file as a stream file by RECFM=n . and sometime you need to consider to handle JASON object.but for your example. it seems that it is easy to get.

filename x 'c:\temp\test.json';
data want;
 infile x lrecl=3456677 dsd;
 input 
 @'"ID":' id : $40.   
 @'"startTime":'  startTime
 @'"endTime":'  endTime
 @'"name":'  name :$40.
 @'"content":'  content :$40.
@@;
run;
data want1;
 infile x recfm=n dlm='{[",:';
 input x : $100. @@;
run;

Xia Keshan

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation